Random anemone population?!?

AquariumPerson

oookay, so Wed. morning i left for the Georgia aquarium (which was ok, but IMO their reef exhibits coulda been a bit better.) Anyhow, I got home late last night soo I didnt turn on the lighting etc. This morning I turned on the lights, and there were a bunch of little anemones (at least 10) in various places on the rock and sand. They arent aptasia, and dont look like majano anemonies but I suppose they could be. Some this morning were just floating around on the rock or sand and werent attatched to anything but have since done so.

I dont get it! I havent ever seen any before now and all of a sudden there are lots from seemingly nowhere!

The tank is a 29 gallon with dual power compact lighting, (2) maxijet 600's, a bak pak 2R+ protein skimmer (no bio bale media stuff) and a visi-therm delux heater...

the tank has been running since early june with uncured liverock, but has since cured. I have a few soft and hard corals currently that are doing good and do regular water changes, clean my skimmer every other day, etc.

The lights were off Wed. and Thurs. all day. Could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks, Adam :confused:

edit: the rock was from drs. foster smith, select fiji premium 45 pounds.

i have left my light off for the last few days and have noticed new aiptasia. not quite sure why they didnt come out when the lights were on???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12880391#post12880391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
need pictures of the anemone to give ID, but you should kill them ASAP

I disagree. I would find out what it is first, then decide what course of action you should take. Not everything that pops up is bad.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12880540#post12880540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bristle
I disagree. I would find out what it is first, then decide what course of action you should take. Not everything that pops up is bad.
But the odds aren't good.

Re: Random anemone population?!?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12880048#post12880048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquariumPerson
oookay, so Wed. morning i left for the Georgia aquarium (which was ok, but IMO their reef exhibits coulda been a bit better.)

Remember that the reef exhibit is considered a 5 year project... growing out from frags in a lot of cases... plenty of room to fill in... go back each year and document the growth ;) (from the photos I've seen, I'm betting that many people will be disappointed for quite a while to come, but as reefers, we should try and see the long term potential)

As to the 'nems... need photos to help ID... many things "pop up" over night (and often they are bad, but IMO wait for an ID unless they are killing off corals/fish/etc.)

Back