Re-stocking reefs with aquarist frags

Chris Lakies

I'm not sure if this is the forum to post this.....

Perhaps this has been discussed but i'm kind of wondering if there are current programs or any in consideration in which the hobbyist could donate frags from their tank to be planted in reefs that are hurting? I would think that corals that are from our tanks are more resilient than corals in the wild? I'm sure this brings up other issues of the possibility of introducing bugs or bacteria strains into the wild where it isn't prominent?

Jeff Corwin did a show called Ocean Mysteries in relationship with the Georgia Aquarium. He had one episode that showed how the aquarium fragged corals, etc... and the created artificial reefs in the ocean. Moving and adding the pieces like a huge puzzle in the ocean. It is available on Amazon Prime to watch if you have it.

Considering the massive amount of coral that you'd have to have to do anything to help restore a reef, I think the best thing to do is to frag your corals and sell them. Getting home grown coral as a viable source instead of the reefs would do a lot more to keep the reefs safe.

Back