recovering from green hair algae outbreak advice needed

930Reef

Hi!

So this was my first bad (unexpected) algae outbreak after nearly a year in the hobby. Thank you all in advance for bearing with me here.

15 gallon nano with 20 gallon sump. 30 lbs LR.

System is almost a year old. Been maturing nicely, and then out of nowhere, crazy hair algae began growing all over everything (much more than the normal green haze that I mag-float off every few days). Began a couple weeks ago at most.

Went on and seemed to get better with water change over the last 2 weeks or so, but these last few days it was awful.

When testing, only slight phosphates just in these last few days (.25ppm) and no nitrates, ammonia, etc. Water was always stable and no undesireable levels at all of anything. I tested again today before water change, and that's when I found the elevated phosphates. Last week there were none. FWIW, I dose every few days with Fritz's 2-part between water changes.

Finally, at the end of my rope, I started digging through sump during a water change. Found my biggest turbo snail (bigger than a golf ball, smaller than a tennis ball), dead on the bottom of the sump. I'd say I saw it there, but more accurate to say that I smelled it first once the water level in sump was low. Rotted to almost nothing. Good lord did it smell.

Now, I'm assuming that this was the source of the nutrient dump into the water that was causing the outbreak. I removed as much algae by hand/siphon as possible.

I stirred up quite a bit of algae in display, removed a lot, and rest seems to be settling/going to sump and skimmer. I swapped my crappy odyssea ps75 skimmer out with a newer SCA 302 I recently acquired. I also added a wooden airstone w/ air pump just to help oxygenate DT. Also added sock of phosguard to sump to help pull out the phosphates. I've had success with this in the past.

Livestock in tank is 1 ocellaris, 2 rbtas, acan head, small favia, a few euphyllias, 1 monti cap frag, 1 cleaner shrimp, and standard CUC of blue legs and a few turbos. Not worried about my xenia. One hour after water change and all corals are opening back up. Nems, not yet, but they don't look too bad.

Questions are these:

1. Is my assumption likely correct with the huge dead snail in the small system causing nutrients, and thus algae? (I've never had this problem until I stopped seeing him. I should've checked for him a week ago in hindsight.)

2. Will stirring up all that gunk/algae cause a tank crash? Everything seems healthy up to this point. In fact, my 2 RBTAs were HUGE and open before the water change/ stir-up.

3. Given the gross stuff now stirred up (algae, sump detritus), will the larger SCA 302 skimmer I threw in help export a lot of that stuff and keep tank safe? (My old skimmer was junk). I'm already emptying cup of dark brown yuck, and it's only been an hour. Wet skimming for now.

4. Will the air stone near top of DT be necessary for now? I figured with all the gross turbidity floating around for now, the extra oxygen would be appreciated by my single fish.

Any advice on answering the above questions, or anything else, is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Hi!

So this was my first bad (unexpected) algae outbreak after nearly a year in the hobby. Thank you all in advance for bearing with me here.

15 gallon nano with 20 gallon sump. 30 lbs LR.

System is almost a year old. Been maturing nicely, and then out of nowhere, crazy hair algae began growing all over everything (much more than the normal green haze that I mag-float off every few days). Began a couple weeks ago at most.

Went on and seemed to get better with water change over the last 2 weeks or so, but these last few days it was awful.

When testing, only slight phosphates just in these last few days (.25ppm) and no nitrates, ammonia, etc. Water was always stable and no undesireable levels at all of anything. I tested again today before water change, and that's when I found the elevated phosphates. Last week there were none. FWIW, I dose every few days with Fritz's 2-part between water changes.

Finally, at the end of my rope, I started digging through sump during a water change. Found my biggest turbo snail (bigger than a golf ball, smaller than a tennis ball), dead on the bottom of the sump. I'd say I saw it there, but more accurate to say that I smelled it first once the water level in sump was low. Rotted to almost nothing. Good lord did it smell.

Now, I'm assuming that this was the source of the nutrient dump into the water that was causing the outbreak. I removed as much algae by hand/siphon as possible.

I stirred up quite a bit of algae in display, removed a lot, and rest seems to be settling/going to sump and skimmer. I swapped my crappy odyssea ps75 skimmer out with a newer SCA 302 I recently acquired. I also added a wooden airstone w/ air pump just to help oxygenate DT. Also added sock of phosguard to sump to help pull out the phosphates. I've had success with this in the past.

Livestock in tank is 1 ocellaris, 2 rbtas, acan head, small favia, a few euphyllias, 1 monti cap frag, 1 cleaner shrimp, and standard CUC of blue legs and a few turbos. Not worried about my xenia. One hour after water change and all corals are opening back up. Nems, not yet, but they don't look too bad.

Questions are these:

1. Is my assumption likely correct with the huge dead snail in the small system causing nutrients, and thus algae? (I've never had this problem until I stopped seeing him. I should've checked for him a week ago in hindsight.)

2. Will stirring up all that gunk/algae cause a tank crash? Everything seems healthy up to this point. In fact, my 2 RBTAs were HUGE and open before the water change/ stir-up.

3. Given the gross stuff now stirred up (algae, sump detritus), will the larger SCA 302 skimmer I threw in help export a lot of that stuff and keep tank safe? (My old skimmer was junk). I'm already emptying cup of dark brown yuck, and it's only been an hour. Wet skimming for now.

4. Will the air stone near top of DT be necessary for now? I figured with all the gross turbidity floating around for now, the extra oxygen would be appreciated by my single fish.

Any advice on answering the above questions, or anything else, is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

1) I would certainly be sure to say your decaying snail played a huge part in the increase of phosphates thus causing your algae outbreak.

2) In a small system, you always want to be careful stirring too much up at once especially a sandbed if its something you have not maintained directly i.e syphoning on a regular basis. I would keep doing what your doing, remove by hand, vacuuming where necessary and small regular water changes until everything is back inline. You want to export the algae right out the tank so running a filter sock and changing regularly, and removing by hand you are removing nutrients directly out your tank.

3) Keep wet skimming as mentioned this will remove much more junk quicker but the downside is water you will lose.

If your system can't handle one dying snail, then your system is not very stable at all.

One dead decaying snail would not attribute to PO4. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, sure, but certainly not phosphates.

When I was going fallow for ich, I kept 8 fish and all my inverts in a 20G long as a temp holding tank. One giant turbo snail died and decayed(went between rocks and I never saw it until I broke the tank down), never contributed to anything as my system was able to process the waste.

Stirring up the sandbed and all the crap thats trapped in it, is more then likely what caused it. Stirring/vacuuming the sandbed is one of those things that you either have to do all the time, or just leave it be. Doing it once in a while stirs up the nasty thats better left alone.

Thanks for all the input. So I'd regularly vacuumed just top of sand, and was always careful not to stir it too much for reasons you guys all mentioned. I didn't really stir it this time when cleaning, but rather just the surface algae went everywhere, and was pretty prolific on its own.

Didn't touch the sandbed any more than normal before the algae outbreak, so I don't think it was the sandbed that caused it in this case.

I also totally thought it would've been able to handle the dead snail, too, and that's why after I didn't see him for awhile I didn't panic...but I can't really see what else may have done it. Looks way better this morning, and seems to be on the mend.

I'm on the cusp of upgrading to a 55 w/ a 15 sump that will be better for situations like this. I think I'll move that along.

So far one thing I've taken from the experience is that it's proven that a good piece of equipment is worth its weight in gold. I thought that with a small tank like mine the cheap odyssea skimmer was fine, but the SCA 302 is another world. I knew this, but I underestimated the impact it has on the system (even a small one).

Really, really appreciate the help.

A picture of your setup from tank to sump may help. Is your 30 lbs of liverock all in your tank? Liverock in a sump can become an issue long term if your are not cleaning the water before LR.

A picture of your setup from tank to sump may help. Is your 30 lbs of liverock all in your tank? Liverock in a sump can become an issue long term if your are not cleaning the water before LR.

Good to know! My sump is a diy rubbermaid without baffles, so it's not being cleaned before rock per se. Switching to a proper sump later this week/next week with the new tank being set up. (55 gal).

Not all my rock is in my display. 80/20 display to sump.

Back