Red Flatworms

BaltimoreFish

Have a 15 gallon custom AIO. Started with dead rock and I planned on dipping all corals to prevent/minimize pests. I plan on keeping it a very low bioload environment with just inverts (no fish).

About 3 months into the project-added some macroalgae two days ago. A day later I have a ton of red flatworms from the handful-size macroalgae ball (got it from a friend who said he had no pests in his tank-his tank has been up for years). At least the macro was free!!

My question is this. Do these organisms reach a balance in our tanks that are reasonable to the eyes? I've read a ton of stories about these things exploding in numbers in a tank. Are the high numbers often a short term thing or do our environments make them go crazy. I guess my real question is can these things be in our tanks over the long term in reasonable numbers without predators (fish).

If not I've already ordered Salifert Flatworm Exit. I'd rather not use chemicals in my tank but I'm open to it.

Thanks for the knowledge.

they wont really hurt anything but can explode in numbers. best to get rid of them now while you can. are they in the display tank or do you have a sump and there in there?

I've found the garden variety red flat worm population explosions happen in newish tanks with high nutrients & lots to eat. They will congregate densely in low flow area rich with food I got rid of them easily. Rigged a mini siphon with a stick, zip ties & small diameter flex tubing. Target removal was fun, sorta like a real world game of space invades or Galaga. Got hundreds in no time.

But the real solution was just cleaning up the tank to SPS conditions with nutrient control and stong flow. Never a problem again, though I'll see one or a couple individuals on the glass if I procrastinate on something. So I know there's a residual population there that could exploit a funky tank. But they're rare & no problem.

Read up on some of the bug killer products. Mistakes can lead to heart breaking consequences.

Thanks for the info. Been watching youtube videos on flatworm exit. They are in the sump but its an all-in-one tank so I'm sure they are in the DT portion as well.

Siphon as much as the worms as you can out of the tank with a turkey baster and blow the rest into the water column. Do this repeatedly and repeatedly. Flatworms only live in low or no current water. They are not hard to eradicate but take attention.

LED Jack

You're welcome.

Tip of the day & an opinion:

Always reject the chemical solution before trying a proven organic solution. Especially when a mistake can kill your animals and seriously skunk your tank. If all else fails you can always do it later. But it's not an emergency. Go slow, be safe.

if seems like we've had a lot of new aquarists in a hurry lately on RC.

Last edited:
You can siphon them out and keep them at bay. They are just ugly but I have not seen them hurt anything. A little effort goes a long way.

IMHO, the problem with putting a wrasse in is the tank size. At 15g, putting in a six line would mean no more fish!?

I would just try manual removal. Taking the rocks out and giving them a 10-15 second dip in ro/di water (no salt) will make them drop like flies. Any coral that can be removed can also be dipped that way.

This is what was left behind when I freshwater dipped my Elegance:

I ended up with a pair of Blue Star Leopard Wrasses and they wiped out the rest of them, but they are in a 120.

Wrasses and freshwater baths are not necessary if you can get current to their location which is easy in a 15 gallon tank. Please try my way and report back. But you will have to blow with a turkey baster every 10-15 minutes for a few hours possibly more.

Back