Red Gracilaria Turning White

bhdmc

Received Red Gracilaria on this past Thursday and it is now beginning to turn white. It is in my refugium. Why is it turning white and what is the cause?

White in coloration (but still a bit pinky) or transparent and see through as the new coloration?

Practically transparent algae is indicative of some die off, which certainly happens in transit with more delicate species. Gracilaria, and a few of the other reds, can react to high light (than what they're adapted too from previous environments) by growing new fronds that are lighter in color. Rapid changes in environment, including light, can also cause some die off.

Is it the whole algae?

>Sarah

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887644#post9887644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samala
White in coloration (but still a bit pinky) or transparent and see through as the new coloration?

Practically transparent algae is indicative of some die off, which certainly happens in transit with more delicate species. Gracilaria, and a few of the other reds, can react to high light (than what they're adapted too from previous environments) by growing new fronds that are lighter in color. Rapid changes in environment, including light, can also cause some die off.

Is it the whole algae?

>Sarah

Hi Sarah

On some of the plants, it is the whole algae that turns white. On others, it is the branchs and tips. My lighting are two T5 18watts 6700K plant bulbs and two T5 18 watts blue actinic bulbs. I have the lights on reverse cycle opposite the main tank. They did go from red to pink then to white.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887644#post9887644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samala

Is it the whole algae?

>Sarah

If I lower the lighting, will the red color come back or would it stay white?

Back