Red Slime on everything

Look forward to your success story Saltwater! Let us see/know how it turns out for you.

Take it slow with the new photo period, and consider flow patterns of your power heads.

Have you recieved your TDS meter yet?

Black outs give you an additional hand in getting it dialed back and prevent further growth. Manual removal is a pre/post curser. Changes to water chemistry, feeding habits, and circulation are needed to address the core problem as stated earlier in this thread.

Nearly everyone runs tanks that are naturally high in phospates, Cyano's fav food. This is why most people in the hobby use GFO or an alternative. A small Cyano or hair algae patch is how many of us know that it is time to change the phosphate remover. Plop in some new and a few days later the algae is gone. Or if you have as much as OP, a few weeks probably.

It is not fuzzy about water chemistry and relatively tolerant to flow since if it does not like a spot it just grows somewhere else. In freshwater you can cure its close relative by adding more nutrients (nitrates). It just really likes phosphates.

Look forward to your success story Saltwater! Let us see/know how it turns out for you.

Take it slow with the new photo period, and consider flow patterns of your power heads.

Have you recieved your TDS meter yet?

The tds meter shipped yesterday and is estimated to arrive Wednesday

Jmaidson; not to derail this thread but have you checked the BRS tds meter against a hand held unit? How much do you trust the BRS meter?

What's your mag? When I had cyano my mag was low.. I raised my magnesium and the cyano disappeared.. I know some of you might be skeptical of that but you might want to check! I had some local reefers tell me to check my mag.

Coincidentally, high magnesium levels can also be used to combat bryopsis. I didn't know it could be used on cyano though.

here the update

its been a week since I started the black out period and heres the result

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
Just read through this thread, a lot of extremely good information, especially for freshmen. Your tank looks much better. Nice job everyone.

Back