Reddish/Pink stuff in Refugium?

Sagz70

Registered Reefer
I recently changed out my refugium LED because my cheato was not growing and looked like it was melting. There was very little left maybe enough to graph with a few fingers.
This new LED made my cheato EXPLODE! There is now a 2-3 inch thick layer of nice green cheato, all in a month!
Anyways, there is also this spongey looking thing all in the cheato that I have no idea what is. If anyone can ID this, i'd greatly appreciate it!

I read that it may be cyano? I had a bad outbreak of cyano recently and I used chemiclean and it got rid of all of it from my display tank and my refugium.

wwdqty.jpg

Does it look like cotton candy? If so, I had this same problem. Not sure what it is or what causes it, but if it ever makes it into your display, mexican turbo snails eat it. I found improving my water quality did nothing to get rid of it. I'd pluck it out of the fuge for now.

Looks more like cotton candy than slime to me.

Should I just get rid of that whole clump of cheato and toss it and start over? That might be easier to do than sit there and pick out all of the little clumps..

Pull the chaeto out and rinse vigorously in a bucket of sea water. That might knock if off and allow you to reuse the chaeto.

it might be cyano.

When i had a refugium it was full of cyano. It never made it to my DT, or if it did the CUC took care of it quick.

Is chemiclean good to get rid of red slime? Is it reef safe?

Ive never used but have heard it is. However, you still need to address the underlying reason for it. In refugiums its usually the lack of flow, but in the DT, look towards nutrients, and stagnant flow areas.

Thanks guys for the input, next water change I will rinse it out in the extra water.

I used chemiclean in my tank, mixed reef with softies, lps, sps, etc and I lost nothing.
Corals and fish were all safe, but I followed the directions to the T. It depletes your oxygen so I got an air stone and also took the cup off my skimmer and let the water overflow back into my sump. Chemiclean makes your skimmer go nuts so you have to make sure you can clean out your skimmer cup constantly towards the end of the process.

Back