Reef bad smell

andreasch

Dear reefers,

i need your help with an issue i have with my reef tank. I have a problem with bad smell coming out of my reef tank and makes house stink. I added a fan in my sump to take the air outside the house but that didnt help.
I guess smell is also coming from the display tank. I had my display tank open on top cos my lights are 60cm above water level, but to solve the problem i decided to make custom cover from plexiglass with some holes on them but even after that my problem didnt fixed.

Anyone else who faced this problem and found the reason and a solution to it? Any help would be appreciated please

Some more details that my help:

Reef tank is from August of 2018 (so is a kinda old one and not in cycle period)
Display tank = 600liters
Sump = around 100liters

Equipement and media:
DOC Tunze Skimmer 9410
Bubble Magus Biopellet Reactor
Aquaforest Phosphate Reactor
Using sponge and cotton filter media as a filter
Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon - active carbon
AF Phosphate Minus
NPX Bioplastics - biopellets
Hydra 64HD lights

The only time I had a bad smell was when something was wrong with the health of the tank or something died. Dead snails stink horribly when removed from the tank.

Is it possible something got out of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd check your reactors, if the flow is too slow, you can have bacteria dying and causing a rotten egg smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only experience with a bad smell is definitely from skimmer. I would check there. Other than that, I would check for death around the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The only time I had a bad smell was when something was wrong with the health of the tank or something died. Dead snails stink horribly when removed from the tank.

Is it possible something got out of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have ALOT of snails. Every some time i see thousand of eggs on the glass. Ofc many of them also die. But is impossible to keep track which snail dies in there. Smell of dead snails INSIDE the water can get a smell outside?

Outside of the tank is impossible cos i have a jumpguard cover + plexiglass cover

My only experience with a bad smell is definitely from skimmer. I would check there. Other than that, I would check for death around the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Even after i clean the skimmer, smell is still there. Death outside the tank is also impossible cos i have jumpguard cover.

And smell didnt appear now. Is there for like 6-7 months non stop now

Have you removed some water from DT then smelled it away from the tank? If it stinks then you have a serious water issue from depleted alk or another mineral that caused death to corals IF you have them in tank you did not mention inhabitants other then snails.
Another obvious sign of a depletion & bad water care is corals receding and shrinking. You have not mentioned ANY params of your water. Saltwater has to attempt to stay within new salt water params period or things start dying slowly........................Have you even tested mag, alk,cal, salinity, ph,.............?

I have ALOT of snails. Every some time i see thousand of eggs on the glass. Ofc many of them also die. But is impossible to keep track which snail dies in there. Smell of dead snails INSIDE the water can get a smell outside?

Yes. Get a wrasse, Melanarus, and it will eat those smaller snails.

Back