reef butterfly fish?

20vturbo

Does anyone know if other butterfly fish other than the copperband eat aiptasia and are reef safe? I've heard the longnose is reef safe but I wasn't sure if they helped with aiptasia

The longnose butterfly fish will eat worms and featherdusters, so keep that in mind. I bought one years ago because my dad had one when I was growing up, and as soon as it was in my tank, it started eating all my hitchhiker feather dusters. I was so upset, and it took me 45 mins to catch it out of a 29 gallon! That fish is fast.

Racoon butterflyfish can eat them, but they may eat other things in your reef so they aren't considered reef safe.

Really, only the CBB is the one you can put in and not worry too much about. There are other solutions you can try:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=803632

yeah, I just really LOVE some butterfly's (unfortunately not the CBB), we just got back from Hawaii and I love the longnose, saddleback, raccoon, Pyramid, lemon, Tinkerii, and Latticed Butterfly. I guess I will have to make one of the tanks non-reef. Will any of them go with an triggers? hmmm, I have a 112 and am getting a 210...any suggestions on which one would be better as the reef vs FOWLR?

thanks again!

i think mark hit it on the head with his first thought, others may eat your feather dusters, this was my case, and i had others pick on them now since he did, i guess he started the idea and others continued it, like my lil innocent regal,
BAH

i have a klein's butterfly in my reef and he has been great. he picked on a couple of things the first day, but hasn't looked at anything since. it's only been 3 weeks so i cant speak from long term experience, but i sure love him :)
josh

Back