reef tank overcome by ophiactis

packfannn

Can you please help. My 75 gallon reef is overcome by these micr-brittlestars and i think they have eaten all my copepods shrimp etc. What can I do? I have a 20 gallon refugium which contains 2" sand , live rock and chaeto.
Any help would be appreciated.

I've never heard of the small brittlestars eating copepods or mysid shrimp. I have about a million in my tanks and plenty of copepods and mysids. I would look elsewhere for an answer about your lack of copepods.

I would have to agree with that. as far as i have ever researched, ophiactoids use their arms to filter particles from the water, or detritus off the sand/rocks, then use their little tube feet to transfer the particles to their mouths. i'm sure from time to time they would happen to come up with a small critter or two while feeding, but i couldnt imagine they would be quick enough to eat the whole population of pods.
what type of fish do you have?
often, when a population of something dies off, it is because it's food source has dwindled.

how do i replace missing pods,shrimp etc.

how do i replace missing pods,shrimp etc.

should i get some live sand from a friends tank or just by tigger pods? Whats the best way to replenish whats missing

you're refugium should be an ideal place for pods to develop. adding a cup of sand to help the bio-diversity, especially in the fuge, wont hurt anything. adding a cup from several different tanks is better. lots of clubs do periodic sand swaps.
there are places like inland aquatics and florida aqua-farms which offer packages of critters if you think you need to add some.

Back