Reef tank without a sump system?

If you are stuck with the cannister there is no reason you can't run it empty just for additional circulation, and use it for carbon or other media when needed.

PC's are fine for most soft corals. I have a similar set up for my prop tank (even less wattage though) and grow many types of softies.

I agree about the crushed coral for sure. I would ditch it in favor of sand or bare bottom.

As for your original question, there is no reason you have to have a sump. I don't run them on either tank, though I have a large internal overflow in my 240 reef that I run most equipment out of. Benefits of one will include more water volume, hiding equipment, place for a refugium, ect... FWIW though, I wouldn't trust any small children around a tank with an accessible sump. You would be likely to find anything from dish soap to toys in it down the road. Just an extra consideration for you.

HTH!

Alright well I went to a local "specialty reef tank" store and they helped answer alot of the questions I had. Not to mention got me all excited while looking at several beautiful reef tanks they had in the store.

I got rid of the canister filter and upgraded my skimmer from the 65g to the 125g. I also got rid of the 40 lbs of coral debris and traded it in for some interesting colored sand. I also purchased another power head, abit bigger than the previous one. I think Im starting to get on the right track. Im not going to bother with the sump for now, however I would like to add one in the fiture when its in the budget. Now I just have to find a reasonably priced supply of live rock and water. Man I never expected that getting water would be such a pain.

Oh something on water. Someone told me if I get some regular filtered drinking water and let it sit in my tank with nothing else in it and just circulate it that all the bad gasses and other such things would go away on there own... Is this true?

Back