Reeflux 20K bulb

I have recently ran both bulbs. The XM is much more like a 20K, the 20K Reeflux reminds me of the 12K Reeflux I used to run.

The 20K Reeflux is very bright, has blue tones, but nothing like the blue of the XM.

Hmm, I need to give it a try. I like the color of my Phoenix 14K on HQI magnetic ballast. It was very bright with enough blue, but nothing like XM20 that I have right now.

I am currently running some 14k bulbs I got from THE auction site. They are awesome and were less than 50 bucks for 3 shipped to the house. I was so impressed, I ordered a second set. Uniform color with all three and better color than the XM or Reeflux I have run in the past. The sellers ID is hobbylighting.

FWIW,
Jim

You are welcome. Let us know how it turns out. Looking forward to updated pictures of the new tank.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

Unfortunately my SPS's are not doing all that well at the moment. After re-aquascaping the rocks and corals, my huge Rose Milli (a foot across) started RTN'ing. I tried to save it by fragging a few good portions, but it was almost all gone next morning. The water fouled up and affected other SPS's. Since then a nasty chain reaction started. I lost quite a few acroporas. I still have a number of them, but some are struggling. This has been the most disappointing change that I have ever made.

Toward the end of re-aquascaping, I got shocked by a leaky current in the tank. The Sedra 3500 on ASM G2 seemed to have been the culprit. It really shocked me and all the inhabitants of 180. I don't know if this had any effect on my big milli. It was doing so well until the re-aquascaping.

Luckily, my softies, LPS's, fishes, and clam seem to be okay.

Although it's sad to lose the corals that I treasured for many months, this also gives me an excuse to go out and get more frags to fill up the void that they left when the tank settles down ;).

Tomoko,

Sorry to hear about your loss. That was a beautiful coral. I have some Acros that I can frag for you when your tank settles down if you want them. I have a pink milli that grows well also. Just let me know.

Dave

I got the 14K bulbs that JimW was talking about.

I am testing the one in the center of the three pendants since this afternoon. I will replace the remaining two tomorrow. I wish I could measure PAR on them, but I don't have a PAR meter.

It's nice crisp blue for a 14K bulb. It makes blue things look blue instead of more purple like XM20 does. Green colors seem to look a bit better, too. It's not quite like Phoenix 14K but pretty close at the moment. I have to see how long the blue tint lasts since blue is the color that tends to decay fastest. Right now the lamp appears bluer than my XM20 without making things look dim or purple.

Can't beat the price of $9.99 per bulb, though, even if I have to replace the bulb every 6 months. Shipping is a bit higher due to the fact that they come from Canada, but as JimW pointed out, it's a tad less than $50 for all three bulbs including the shipping cost :).

i use Aquarmckzo bulbs sold by greatdel on ebay they have good color and i have good growth little cheaper than the one you mention i have got bulbs as lowas 14 ea with them shipped

Thanks, tangsrbest.

How long have you had the bulbs? Any color shift that you can detect over time?

As you know, colors are really personal thing. Can you give me a reference point for comparison by any chance? What I am looking for is the color and intensity of 250W Phoenix DE bulbs. A Phoenix 250W SE bulb was just released this year, but I did not buy it since it cost $99 each.

As long as these cheap MH bulbs retain great colors for 6 month, I don't mind changing them out every 6 months. However, I read that some of these bulbs don't retain colors very long.

At such low prices (7.99 and 9.99 per bulbs), I can try them all for less than what I paid for my three 250W XM20, lol.

Last edited:
I have been running these bulbs for 2 months now and I do not see any shift in color spectrum from the original color. All three bulbs have been very consistent and have no difference in color. I don't have a par meter to test them, so my observation are purely anecdotal, but so far I really like what I see.

Jim

i was useing his 20k bulbs before they didnt seem to change between 6 mo change out this is my first set of 14k my 400w still seems to have close to the same amount of blue this is its 6 th month if you have a way to run it i could send it to you as im changeing it to day
mogul base

Thank you, tangsrbest.

I would like to run a comparison between these bulbs. Would you save one for me? In about 6 months, I would like to compare mine against your 6 month old bulb by running them side by side.

A 6 month replacement interval seems to be rather short as compared to the data I read on Phoenix 14K bulbs. Most Japanese manufacturers recommend replacing bulbs every 1 to 1-1/2 years. Do you think that you may be able to stretch the interval a little longer?

yes i will save it i dont believe it would be a problem to run much longer just thought as cheap i would change that often to be sure wouldnt be any shift if you plan to go to chatt swap i can bring it then

Back