Refractometer Question

Pigpen17

So I have had the same hydrometer for the last 10 years. I love this thing. It has been through thick and thin with me. But I needed a second, so I bought a new one. It was way off so I threw it away. I went out and bought another one, and still, it was way off from mine. I thought, these new ones suck! That's when I realized my hydrometer is 10 years old! Maybe it's time to get a new one, but I'm not trusting any of them now.

So I am bucking up and spending the cash on a refractometer. I want to get one that works, but I don't want to spend money I don't have to.

Which one do you recommend?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Refractometers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-FITEOPRF-ct.html

I going to buy this one my self but that's just me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
No matter what you use it has to be calibrated often. If you have a cheap hydrometer you can add a calibration sample and than mark where the true reading is if yours is off. You can take it to friends house or a store and use their calibrated refractometers to calibrate yours.

It's just I would rather not try to look down the other type and see where the damn line is. I've used the other type in wine making but like I said that's just me. Besides just over $100 for an instrument is not bad at all.

I'm also a big fan of these. Way better then test kits and for the price you can't go wrong. They make a bunch of different ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
I'd try calibrating your old one along with a new one and see how they come out. If need be I can help you compare it against mine, I'm just up the road in Federal Way PigPen

I'd try calibrating your old one along with a new one and see how they come out. If need be I can help you compare it against mine, I'm just up the road in Federal Way PigPen

Right on. So your a Midway Pets guy?

Yeah, I brought my water to the LFS down here and his reading was different than all of mine. Insane. I got the refractometer in the mail. I'll get to the bottom of this. I think I'll still use my Hydrometers for my QT and TT, but I'll mark where the correct reading should be.

Right on. So your a Midway Pets guy?

Yeah, I brought my water to the LFS down here and his reading was different than all of mine. Insane. I got the refractometer in the mail. I'll get to the bottom of this. I think I'll still use my Hydrometers for my QT and TT, but I'll mark where the correct reading should be.

Oh hell no. Same with Aquarium Paradise, they are no-nos on my list.

I drive the extra distance to go to either Oceans by design (Tukwilla) or Barrier Reef Aquatics (N. Renton). Both of those specialize in salt water and have excellent stock.

If you want I can stop by with mine some day and test your water or you can bring some water up to me. I'll be calibrating my refractometer today when I do my water change. I calibrate mine at tank temperature by floating my calibration solution for 20 minutes before I calibrate.

Oh hell no. Same with Aquarium Paradise, they are no-nos on my list.

I drive the extra distance to go to either Oceans by design (Tukwilla) or Barrier Reef Aquatics (N. Renton). Both of those specialize in salt water and have excellent stock.

If you want I can stop by with mine some day and test your water or you can bring some water up to me. I'll be calibrating my refractometer today when I do my water change. I calibrate mine at tank temperature by floating my calibration solution for 20 minutes before I calibrate.

Thanks for the offer. I should have mine early next week. I will have to check out those stores. I have to admit, I shop almost exclusivly online because I just don't know a good store. I like Aquarium Paradise a lot. I have been going there for a long time and I like the owners, but they don't awalys have what I'm looking for. I miss Indoor Reef when it was in the small shop. That was just the most unique fish store.

LOL u need calibrate them. Ur old one is probably fine and same with the other u threw away. get some calibration fluid and set them properly by adjusting the screw.

Back