Refugium Tactics

Since the system already has a deep sand bed, breaking up the live rock to make rubble shouldn't have much effect on nitrates. There might be a short-term spike, as organic matter that was trapped in the anaerobic zone is exposed to oxygen. After that, it should be fine.

Yes, it's possible that the current flow might be too high for Chaetomorpha. It does like to tumble, but I'm sure there's an upper limit to its speed tolerance.

Some people actually try to encourage hair algae to grow in the refugium, so it outcompetes itself in other areas of the tank. Try a search for "turf algae scrubber". If Chaetomorpha won't grow in your fuge, and you're not interested in Caulerpa, then a turf scrubber might be a good option.

KarlBob,

Besides some slime algae on a Bird's Nest coral, I have no nuisance algae in my main display. The light over the refugium is lower in intensity, and the spectrum is more towards the yellow end. Maybe that, and the fact that there are no herbivirous fishes in my refugium, is why I have hair algae. It still doesn't solve the mystery of the shrinking chaeto. A fellow reefer near me has chaeto in his sump, an dit grows like crazy. It just sits there. No tmbling.

How do you know how much nitrogen to dose? How do you get it into the water without it simply bubbling out?

Lou

try something like seachem flourish nitrogen. its a liquid supllement for planted tanks. or better yet, set up a 2 gallon tank with a damsel in it and let nitrates to accumulate and u have free nitrogen lol :D j/k flourish is ur best bet, its a line of plant supplements for planted tanks, but im sure it would work with reef tanks. start low and work ur way up. test to ensure ur nitrates dont get out of line

I would try reducing your flow through the ref. You said it was vigirous... is it too vigirous? Yours is a strange situation based on your information provided... not the lights, not the param., etc. Maybe your flow is too strong?

I thought the same thing, so yesterday I exchanged the pump with a smaller model. I hope that it has a pisitive effect.

Thanks for the help guys. I've changed out the 'fuge pump and achieved a slower rate. We'll see if that helps.

Lou

Update on SPSs

Update on SPSs

Well, a couple of weeks have gone by since this thread got started, and I'd like to update everyone on what I've done and the results.

1. I've removed two toadstools, a leather hand, and 2 sinularias frrom the tank.

2. I cut flow through the refugium by 1/2.

3. I broke up all refugium and sump live rock into plum sized rocks.

4. I started dosing 1/8 reaspoon of Cyclops-eeze and 1/4 teaspoon of Coral Frenzy every night just before lights out. This is in addition to feeding my fish Formula 2 (all of which is eaten).

5. I've run a polyfilter continuously.

6. I have started the use of a Phosban reactor.

7. I bought 100 very small hermit crabsand several emerald crabs.

The result? All of my SPS corals are showing growth again, and the colors are coming back. An Acropora that had suffered sudden tissue narcrosis is growing back over areas bare skeleton. My Montiporas are responding more slowly, but there is obvious improvement. My chaeto has yet to show signs of growth, but I'm hopeful.

I think that my actions are taking my tank in the right direction. I'll keep up this routine to see how far it gets me. I'm not sure which changes made the biggest difference, but I would guess that that each had some positive effect.

Lou

Back