Refugium

laserjim

Another Day In Paradise
Are refugiums over rated ? Or do they really help export nutrients enough to make it worth while? Just wondering if it would be worth the time to plumb one into my existing setup.

I'm currently doing research on this topic for my new build and I can tell you the nicest tanks I've seen in person both had refugiums. Neither of them do typical water changes either.

Here is my take not very scientific. I have a small fuge I prune baskbetball sized cheato every 3 or 4 weeks. My water changes are 30 gallons every 2 weeks and I feed 4 times a day. Still 0 po4 or almost nothing nitrates. My tank is a 210 with 40 gallon fuge

Sorry forgot to add, when I prune cheato and other macro algea I see a bumb in up in po4 for about a day or so. I also do not run phosban or gfo

I have one, but everything I have read says unless you can do one that's at least half the size of your tank it is not worth it. But I don't have one for removing nutrients. I use mine for pods and other life. Also I have rubble rock and a mud bed. I don't know too many people can have a tank half or the size of their DT. Lol

Sorry forgot to add, when I prune cheato and other macro algea I see a bumb in up in po4 for about a day or so. I also do not run phosban or gfo

What size do you have ? I might be able to swing a 3ft . I made a tank that is 36x30x12, would this work ? I have a 265

Last edited:
I dont have one and my no3 and po4 is Zero. I do run 700 l of Bio pellet's and gfo. But the main reason I have zero is the I tech 400 skimmer. I believe the key is a big skimmer. Now that I stopped Vinegar dosing My tanks hasn't looked this good in a LOOONNNGG time. I believe that the Vinegar was causing my Cayno and now thats gone. I would go bigger on the skimmer....Just my thoughts. Also Roger do not run one either.

I dont have one and my no3 and po4 is Zero. I do run 700 l of Bio pellet's and gfo. But the main reason I have zero is the I tech 400 skimmer. I believe the key is a big skimmer. Now that I stopped Vinegar dosing My tanks hasn't looked this good in a LOOONNNGG time. I believe that the Vinegar was causing my Cayno and now thats gone. I would go bigger on the skimmer....Just my thoughts. Also Roger do not run one either.

Heres my skimmer. :)

I run pellets and GfO., I didnt say I had a problem, Just wondering how much of a benifit a fuge is compared to gfo. And the main reason, it would be something to do. :)

I run a Refugium in my 120 I do by-monthly water changes and my refuigum is gross, it has greenest, reddish and other colors algae like stuff you can name with a nice large cheato ball and my tank is so clean.

*My refugium is a almost closed system built in my 40 gallon sump

I have a small 10 gallon fuge on my 90 gallon tank. I dont think it really contributes to conditioning as I believe it to be drastically undersized to have an impact on water quality but it is a sanctuary for pods to reproduce. Having a leopard wrasse, dragonet and multiple anthias, this is a must for me. I also use it as a stress free environment with a rich, ample food source for new fish to get accustomed to the water parameters. IMO, it comes down to, why do you want a refugium? To help export nutrients, go as big as you possibly can. For pods, a 10 gallon tank can hold a ton of pods.

Does chaeto consume more nutrients than a let's say xenia, a coral that thrives in dirty water.

I have always kept chaeto in my fuge but got to thinking why not throw a extra large colony of xenia in there for nutrient export?

Is this a dumb question? lol.. Anyone with any insight on that?

Back