Refugium

Beders

Hi all I have decided to go with skimmer to my refugium then to return are I have just put the baffels in after my skimmer I decided to go with 3 baffels after the skimmer to reduce bubbles so when water leaves the skimmer it goes over the first baffel then under then over into the refugium.
Now I have 28" of room left for the refugium and the return pump should I just split this space 50/50 so I have quite a big return section so I'm not topping up so often.

Thank you all in advance!

When I did mine I made the pump area rather small and I wish it were bigger for that reason. I have to replace water daily.

Ok thanks so is 14"x15"x15" ok for a refugium and 14" for the return.
Also my lfs said in the bottom of the refugium I should put a couple of 3" high baffels to help hold the sand is this correct.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14192436#post14192436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Beders
Ok thanks so is 14"x15"x15" ok for a refugium and 14" for the return.

The area for mine was in a 20 long. about 16" of it. I wasn't satisfied so I drilled a 10 gal. and sat it on top off to the side so it would drain into the pump sump......

Baffles.............depends how your water flows.
Mine is 3 baffles(over, under and over). I felt there wasn't enough flow across the lower portion so I drilled 1/2" holes across the bottom of the last baffle, that helped.
I never had an issue with sand moving after I drilled the holes, I did when all the water came over the top of the baffle, it stirred up the stuff at the bottom of the baffle....Also I crushed shells and pieces of coral mixed with large aragonite base. (if I spelled that right)

There's a caculator to figure volume some where on here.
I'm leaving work now, wont be back on for several hours.

Back