Remote sump??

stevedola

Master of my domain
ATM I have a RSR 250 with sump under (in stand). The stock sump is just that...stock. I am interested in adding a refugium for water volume to the tank and nutrient export. The tank has been set up for a little over 2 years. Going well but getting some nuisance algae. I was interested in either setting up a separate refuge in the closet next to the tank OR drilling down through the floor into the garage below to install a larger (say 55g) tank for the skimmer, reefroller, etc... and a refuge. I have concerns about putting in a non-heated garage in northeast. Will the car exhaust fumes from coming/going get pulled in and cause issues? (serious concerns from me). Will the cold temps in Dec to April lead to the heater(s) overworking or struggling to keep up? Is it even worth the added issue when I can probably achieve what I need with a closet refuge? It would be nice to have all my top-off and dosing equipment remotely located for cleanliness. Id also gain my closet and stand space but is it really worth? IDK. Plus there's the cost for a remote sump (new pump, larger sump).

Any experience with this type of issue and concern? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I believe @griss has a remote fuge on his tank. With that said, I would not put a tank (sump or otherwise) in a garage during winter in the northeast. That’s just me though as I feel it would way overwork your heaters. I’m sure the car fumes would probably affect it in some way too but not sure

Yeh thats kinda what I thought too in regards to the sump in garage. I wish I could put the sump in the closet without completely taking over the closet but...I can definitely fit a small 10 or 20 gallon tank in there for the refuge.

the sump in a small, enclosed space with cause a lot of moisture in that space. This really affect how the rest of the space is used.

I HAD a small remote 5 gallon fuge for my 40. But, I didn't plan the plumbing out correctly when I drilled the tank and it ended up frequently overflowing. It's since been removed.

Agree about keeping it in the garage in the northeast. I wouldn't keep on in my garage in the midwest.

Agreed on sump in the garage. It was an ill-conceived notion of impulse bc I wish I had room for the remote sump. Maybe next tank. I think Ill do a 20g fuge connected to the tank.

As far as garage if it is not climate controlled I would not. It can get real hot and real cold depending on where you live.My garage gets really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter.

My tanks are in my basement and it gets to upper 50's in the winter. I end up wrapping my tanks and sumps with foam board insulation a few month out of the year and the price to heat them is allot.

Yea if you park cars in there it could be a concern to.

Back