removing soft and hard corals from ???

nim

i have a 250 gal reef build in the DIY forum,I want to know if I can remove corals from LFS rocks and plugs? so that I can mount them on rock structures, as most of the LFS rocks and plugs carry Apstasia on them,also I do not like the looks of them they look out of place in my current reef....

Sure, it can be done. Frags are generally sold encrusted to the plugs, rather than just rubber-banded into place, so you will probably have to cut the base of the frag off of the plug.

some of my corals like my colt coral are on rocks that look like it was cut out with a hole saw? can I safely remove it from there and what tools would I need ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15445819#post15445819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nim
some of my corals like my colt coral are on rocks that look like it was cut out with a hole saw? can I safely remove it from there and what tools would I need ?

Sounds like a frag plug. If so, it's not really a rock.

It's tricky removing softies and reattaching them. Sometimes with leathers the base will be hardened and "leathery" , you can super glue them to a rock until they attach sometimes.

I've had bad luck using rubber bands though. The best bet it to trap them between two rocks.

I usually just rip them off the rocks...but you could use a razor.

Thank you acrylic_300,
your information is helpful these rock pucks and plugs are ugly and they will not look good in my new display, I was also thinking on fragging some of my bigger older corals but wanted some corals with size to them for the 250 gal tank, I'll have to ponder that for awhile so I can make the right choice,mistakes are made in heist.

Back