Replacing side of tank

I just acquired an 150g(72x29x18) tank and there are scratches on both the front side and the back side, I was planning on buying a new sheet of glass and replacing one of the sides to have a new un-scratched front, has anyone else done this? Any Advice? Is this a bad idea?

I see you're in Clearwater, I've taken a few tanks apart. It's fairly easy. If you need a hand let me know.

Remove all sillicone sealer

Remove all sillicone sealer

Biggest tip I can offer is to remove all of the silicone sealer that you can from the whole tank. Dont break the other glass to glass seals other than the panel you are going to remove. Then cut the seals between the old glass front and the end and bottom pieces. remove glass and remove every bit of silicone from the old glass ends and bottom where they meet the new glass front.

If the tank has a trim around the top, do not forget to seal that too.

There are some aquarium resealing instructional vidoes on you tube that can help.

Plan to spend several hours prepping for the reseal, and about 20 minutes to actually apply the sealant. Let sit in place 48 hours before moving the aquarium.

Your best bet for glass that will fit the tank is from one of the tank manufacturers if you are close to one.

Back