Reproducing Sexually?

ndml

What does all this talk about sex and reproducing mean?

I have some chaeto and caulpera profilera that I got from beaslbob in a separate tank. It seems to be growing and I would like to put some of it in my display tank and refugium.

I have noticed some ends get clear and die off. Is this what you mean.

I would love some further clarification.

Thanks for all the help!

And thanks to beaslbob for providing the plants!

Gee I wondered where they went. :D

I had mixed feedback from others. In one case after two days shipping they reported the profilera was a nice green. But in another the profilera arrived all brown. Hopefully yours is greening up and can be useful. And I hope the problems are not with the chaeto.

Becoming clear and dieing off is not a good sign. New growth will sometimes appear white (not clear) then green up after lights on.

the profilera seems to do well under NO type low lighting. As with chaeto but the chaeto seems to grow much faster under higher lighting.

Also your seperate tank may not have the nutrients the macros are used to.

I would hesitate to add any plant that is not actively growing. Hopefully enough may survive to be useful in your display and refugium. In a couple of weeks I'll have some more.

Actually mine are quite green, just as they arrived, and they do occassionally have white "buds" where new leaves are growing out.

I think you may be right about the lack of nutrients. I just took a small amount of both and put them into the display tank.

I'll see how it does for a couple days and let you know.

Thanks again!

ndml said:
Actually mine are quite green, just as they arrived, and they do occassionally have white "buds" where new leaves are growing out.

I think you may be right about the lack of nutrients. I just took a small amount of both and put them into the display tank.

I'll see how it does for a couple days and let you know.

Thanks again!

that is comforting. Seems the white buds are just new growth.

Keep me posted. And don't be surpised if the fish like them.

Back