Retrofit T5 lights with LEDs

epo

Hey guys. looking for some information on adding T5's in a retrofit kit to my current LED lights. My current LED lights are similar Chinese black box ones. They are Reef Radiance 165P+ similar to Reef breeders.
I have had these for a couple years now and my growth on some corals is good, but poor on my sps. and not the best colors.
I am looking to purchase a T5 retrofit kits of BRS. the Aruba Sun Hamiltons with 2 Aqua Blue Special and 2 Blue Plus bulbs. I do not believe these units are dimmable.
So how long should i run them on for? I am going to continue to use the LEDS, but dial back the power. is a 4 hour period good to run the T5's. longer? shorter? Any input would be appreciated.
Once they arrive i will borrow a par meter to figure out how far back to dial the LEDs. THanks

How big is your tank?

Tank is about 125Gal. 6'L x 18"W x 20"H. or there abouts. right now i have 3 of the Reef Radiance lights over the tank. looking to add 2 retrofit T5 light with 2-bulbs each on either side of the LEDs.

Depends on the goal. But the t5 can be run from 4-8 hours in my opinion. Secondly know that the aqua blue bulb is very very white to the eye. I run 1 aqua blue on my 8 bulb ATI fixture and it's plenty bright. I would run 3 blue plus with 1 Aqua blue or 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus bulbs

You have to fine tune your photo period along with your PAR output.

I have an 8 bulb T5 Sunpower on a 300DD.

LED ReefBrite XHO 60'
11:30 to 10:30
11 Hours LED Royal Blue

Dawn to Dusk T5 (2 ATI Blue Plus)
12:30 to 9:30
9 Hours

Day (4 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Coral Plus)
2:30 to 7:30
5 Hours

I would start out slow and gradually ramp up.

I bleached a really nice shortcake by having my daylight exposure on for 6 hours as oppose to 5. It is all a learning experience.

Personally, I would turn off your RED, WHITE, YELLOW channel on your LED's and run only Blues.

Allow the T5's (ATI Blue Plus and Coral Plus) spectrum take care of the rest.

ATI North America: http://www.atinorthamerica.com/faq.php

12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticeable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
2 ATI Blue Plus
2 ATI Coral Plus

In regards to a similar build you are doing, this is how I did my garage system:

2 MIRO T5 Retro Kits along with Rapid LED DIY Strips. 410 - 460 nm

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. Yea I definitely wasn't going to start out with a long photo period on the t5. Maybe begin at 30-60 minutes a day and over a couple weeks/months move up to roughly 5-6hours. Adjust by observing the corals.

As far as the bulbs are concerned. Would 2-blue plus and 2-coral plus provide the right spectrum with a nice look. Looking for growth and good color, like most of us:) Also if this would look too white I can always supplement with my Royal blues from the LEDs if I necessary.

Check Amazon for Sunblaster t5's. Message me with your # or email for a pic of my current set up. Janes has a similar set up with different leds.

I have two Sunblasters sitting in the garage that you can have for cheap. 48", and I used to have them on my 125.

Before I went to Sunpower units.

jaKPtXK.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going with Dimmable T5 HO Miro-4 Retrofit Kit - LET Lighting, 80W. They come with 2 in a pack, includes ballast, wiring, and reflectors. I thought setting this up would be easier then the Hamiltons. Gotta thank John over at Faois for the assistance.

Back