Return pump advice

snake1

Premium Member
What's everyone recommend for a in sump return pump? I have always used mag drive pumps and they are pretty reliable but kinda noisy and I always see people scooping up the ehiem 1262 as fast as they are posted. Is that a better choice or do you guys recommend something better. Thanks

Ehiem 1262 or a Iwaki (Japanese motor) pump.

Some of the Iwaki pumps do not have fans on them, those are super quiet.

These brands are 10 years plus with almost no maintenance.

I use 2 pumps for my system....one Fluval sp 6 for my return and reactors and a Jebao DCP-18000 for my skimmer... Both are quite, only down side is the keep my tank on the warm side(79 to 80). I'm going to switch to external pump in the next two weeks. I got a great deal on Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybrid for my return and going to get a ReeFlo Yellow Tail High Pressure Pump for my skimmer...Looking forward to see how cool my tank runs afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

I use 2 pumps for my system....one Fluval sp 6 for my return and reactors and a Jebao DCP-18000 for my skimmer... Both are quite, only down side is the keep my tank on the warm side(79 to 80). I'm going to switch to external pump in the next two weeks. I got a great deal on Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybrid for my return and going to get a ReeFlo Yellow Tail High Pressure Pump for my skimmer...Looking forward to see how cool my tank runs afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah my only option is internal the sump is going to take up the whole stand. You will not be upset with the super dart I had a super dart gold and the pump was so quiet I thought is wasn't working. I'm really amazed I have never heard of the fluval sp4 or sp6 before and there are quite a few reefers here that use them I guess if I saw them at the store I would pass because when I think of fluval I think small filters for freshwater tanks not heavy duty utility pumps.

Ehiem 1262 or a Iwaki (Japanese motor) pump.

Some of the Iwaki pumps do not have fans on them, those are super quiet.

These brands are 10 years plus with almost no maintenance.
I will have to stay internal so I will look into the ehiem thanks.

If you like dc pumps I have really been happy with my almost 3 year old coralvue.
If you are looking for a waveline 4000 model I have one used in good condition for $75.

Last edited:
If you like dc pumps I have really been happy with my almost 3 year old coralvue.
If you are looking for a waveline 6 model I have one used in good condition for $100.

I've never owned a dc pump I will look those up now.

Im really liking the coralvue varios4 and varios6. Suoer quiet. DC power is more energy efficient and the option to control them with the apex is sweet.

The waveline pumps do have a "hum" to them - I'm currently running 4 of them externally now (was running 5): I had three 12000 (one of them seized up for the return n the frag tank - two for returns in the 310 ), one 10000 (sump recirc / UV / Chiller feed in the 310), one 6000 (sump recirc / UV / Chiller feed int eh 150 gallon frag tank)

When I stand next to the 310 - it sounds like a microwave is running. It's in my living room and is bearable though.

The wavelines (and more generally: any chinese made DC pumps) also seem to have issues with controllers / power bricks / pumps failing after 1 year of continuous use. The two very best brands on the market today with the most positive reviews seem to be Red Dragons and Abyzz. There's a premium price tag on these though.

I replaced the return on the 150 gallon frag tank to a vectra l1 (externally) running at 50%. It's super quiet. I'm also running Vectra L1's at 100% on both of my mixing stations. If I have a full mixing station tank - I can't hear it running. I have had the issue with the vectra overheating and slowing itself down in my frag tank. slowing it down to run at 50% seems to have solved that issue for now.

Everyone suspects that Vectra is re-engineering their models and will have an announcement at Macna New Orleans this year. They are hard to come by at the moment. The current generation seems to have an issue running externally at 100% and possibly overheating (which they've addressed with a new firmware).

I'm a huge fan of the DC pumps since you can buy bigger than what you need and dial it down with a controller. Other pumps - you need to match your turnover requirements and buy a specific model.

When I stand next to the 310 - it sounds like a microwave is running. It's in my living room and is bearable though.

The wavelines (and more generally: any chinese made DC pumps) also seem to have issues with controllers / power bricks / pumps failing after 1 year of continuous use.

So noise is an issue and they only last maybe a year? Thanks for the heads up.

My Sicce Syncra 3.5 was very quiet, didn't get hot, and ran non-stop (except for feedings and water changes) for 6 years before I upgraded tanks. I went through 3 atos in that time, and I can't count the number of times the return pump ran dry for hours on end.

I had a pond master mag 12 on my 120. for 2.5 years not 1 issue.cleaned it every 6 months give or take...I am hard of hearing and I never heard it at all...even working in my stand. the only reason I'm not using it now is I found a GREAT deal on a dct12000 I couldn't pass up n wanted to give it a try. but the ol trusty mag 12 is in the bin for back up just in case

You are welcome to come to my living room and put your ear next to my sump and listen for my 3 year old dc pump.
There is the advantage of having only 24 to 36 volts in your water instead of 120v.
The Sicce 4.0 is under 1000gph and 80 watts.
Waveline 4000 is over 1000 gph and rated at less than 30 watts.

I forgot to mention my pump has never been cleaned. Yes I am knocking on a lot of wood since we are talking about it now. :)

Back