Reusing Liverock

Worleyxxx

Breaking down an office tank this week and using roughly 50lbs or Liverock from that tank in my new 180. Question I have is this, the office tank has a horrible brown algae outbreak I have t been able to get ahead of and the rock was infested in aptasia. I'm not concerned about killing the beneficial bacteria as I am making sure none of these pests or algae end up in the new tank. How would you guys go about ridding the rock of this? I know muriatic acid is a possibility but would rather not do that unless I absolutely have to. Would it be possible to dry the rock in a brute for a few days and then fill it with a freshwater/vinegar bath to get rid of the algae and aptasia? What have you guys done for those that have been in similar scenarios?

Considering there are aptasia i would contemplate throwing into them a fiery inferno which is the only way to kill those dang aptasia. JK. I would put probably 5 pep shrimp in there till they eat the aptasia then cook the rock in a brute, no lights, to kill off algea. This would keep the rock fairly live. If not you could also sunbake, then preasure wash the dead stuff off them, then cook in a brute, to allow the organics to break down. Just an idea.

I would use either straight vinegar or diluted muriatic acid. Bleach would work to kill the aiptasia too.

leave it in the sun two or three days, rinse thoroughly. begin recuring process. Everything will be gone from it.I've done this several times with live rock.

Back