RO/DI and salt water setup

Gargamel35

I wonder how do you guys store RO/DI and salt water? What kind of plumbing (if any) do you use and what kind of water drums do you have?

I own a 112 gallon (425l) tank. I believe there is around 105 gallon (400l) of actual water inside. If i want to do 10% water replacement every week, that means i need 10.5 gallon (40l) of salt water every week. I also need RO/DI water to add evaporated water (around 6.6 gallon - 25l per week).

I'm thinking about two 60 gallon (220l) drums. One will be for RO/DI water only and the other for salt water only. I'll use standard silicon tube to get RO/DI water into salt water drum. I'll have a heater and one powerhead in salt water drum all the time.

Would that be a good setup? How can i improve it?

Mine empties into a Rubbermaid wastebasket that is up on a shelf. Input is thru a float valve. Output is a bulkhead fitting and ball valve installed on the bottom as a faucet, with a vinyl hose that I use to fill the 5 gallon top off reservoir. That way if the ATO fails it can't dump over 5 gallons into the tank.

There is an entire thread about mixing stations and how to assemble one, where to buy barrels, etc, in the DIY section. Could give you a few pointers.

Back