RO/DI Unit?

eshook

I am looking at different RO/DI units and am wondering what everyone uses/suggests. I have heard a lot of people on rc suggest airwaterice. The ebay units are sketchy, some love 'em some hate 'em.

Suggestions?

Have had the 6 stage Water General 6100 for a little over 2 years now and so far so good. I think I bought it off ebay and order replacement filters off of their website. Filter Direct is the company I beleive. Good luck.

air water ice makes nice units, they are simple to hook up and ez to use. The typhoon III rocks!

Places like airwaterice and all the other well known places are great if you plan on getting service for the product. However, I don't think they filter any better then ones you can buy off ebay. I mean after all if you can get a ro/di unit off ebay for 100 bucks shipped and it takes the tds down to 0 how is it any different then spending 200+ on one? Sure you can get the nice little perks like built-in TDS meters and clear housings (which are really nice) but in the end it's up to the buyer.

The support for the ones off ebay are kinda iffy. In the end, if you can wait a few weeks I plan on buying one off ebay and I'll let you know how my experience goes. I've had a personal friend buy his off there and it does the job fine.

The key to RO is to make sure you get a Filmtec membrane. The membrane also needs to be rated to house water pressure to work effectively.

Sorry I have been slow to respond. Thanks for everyones input.

reefcrazy, I have never heard of that unit but it sounds like it is working well, so I will look into it

waverz, Typhoon III is at the top of my list currently, but its not cheap

cabenn, The only difference I see is sometimes the ebay units break, once that happens and you buy a replacement you might as well have spent the 200.

atticus, I will make sure whatever I buy I will get the correct membrane. I knew the housewater pressure rating but didn't know filmtec was the brand I was looking for. Thanks

Are there any units people have purchased and would *not* buy again?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6975388#post6975388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eshook

Are there any units people have purchased and would *not* buy again?

I would never buy anything from airwaterice again. They have great customer service and are friendly on the phone. However, they sent me no less than 3 defective membranes. I went without an ro membrane for over a month. No amount of "we're sorry" makes up for that.

Brad

I have a typhoon three, the actual unit is very nice but when they sent replacement filters the DI filter came broke on 2 different occasions. They were very friendly and sent me new ones no questions asked but I would probably order my filters from somewhere else. As far as the unit itself it was very easy to install and has been working great, I've added on to it: 2x sediment 2x carbon, 1xRo 2xdi

Wow! That makes me question airwaterice. I wonder if there quality is going downhill? I will have to look into this. Thanks daschrisma, they were at hte top of my list.

wow tinytool we must have posted close to the same time. 2 accoutns for bad filters from airwaterice. I don't nkow if I like that. If I'm goign to spend the money I would like to back a company who will treat me right.

yeah but don't get me wrong they were very nice to replace them, no questions asked just sent them in the mail. keep in mind they are in florida though and takes like a week to get. The customer service is probably the best in the business but the DI filters do tend to break

I have had no problems with my airwaterice unit! I have had it for almost 3 years and I make about 30-40 gals of RO/DI a week for my tank and I would guess another 10 gals a week of RO from our Faucet for cooking and drinking. I really do no think that you have to worry about their product IMO. I would rather buy from them and have a problem and get the service that I get then buy from somewhere else and get crappy customer service!

Back