RO/DI waste water.

L8ndeb

Registered Reef Keeper
Hi All,

In my previous house, when I ran my RO/DI unit, the waste water was directed down the drain (city sewer). I has moved into a house on a septic system. When I get the tank setup and start running the unit, I really don't want to run all that waste water into my septic tank and out the leach lines. I live in an area with a real winter (snow and sub freezing temps), so I am also sceptical about running the waste outside, in fear of the waste line freezing. Frankly, I would like to use the water somehow for a useful purpose.
Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA

Hi All,

In my previous house, when I ran my RO/DI unit, the waste water was directed down the drain (city sewer). I has moved into a house on a septic system. When I get the tank setup and start running the unit, I really don't want to run all that waste water into my septic tank and out the leach lines. I live in an area with a real winter (snow and sub freezing temps), so I am also sceptical about running the waste outside, in fear of the waste line freezing. Frankly, I would like to use the water somehow for a useful purpose.
Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA

What type of RODI system are you using? I just got one from Bulk Reef Supply and added the kit that lets you recycle your waste water thru a filter thereby cutting your waste in half. Here is a link to it.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...ssories/150-gpd-water-saving-upgrade-kit.html
It says that it will work with other RODI systems then theirs. Doesn't answer you ultimate question about where to put the waste water but might be worth looking at to cut the waste in half.

I might be ok with it if I can get the ratio down. But we have a water softener and a RO/DI unit under the sink for drinking water. So I'm currently getting a flow into my septic system when this runs. Just didn't want to add anymore. Thanks for your response.

Thanks for the replies. I have read the thread and apparently people with high TDS and hard water would have a problem with this setup. From what I read, it is suited for a soft water area. I live in a hard water area.

we use the waste water to load the laundry machine....saves a bit anyway

I had to water test my 110 recently and I did the same thing. We have a lot of TDS in our area so I hope OP gets more responses.

Maybe washing the car???

Doggie baths???

Put it in a pitcher with some ice and serve it to your Mother-In-Law ???
Well maybe not :)

Hi Deb,
Forgive me if my remarks are stupid or silly or just plain unknowledgable. On my first post I got pretty beat up, so take it easy this is my second.

I am assuming you have a leech field, not a septic tank that needs to be emptied, and that you have a system {Fish tank} with 80- gallons of water. So you produce 30-90g of ww per month, depending on the ratio of your ro unit. (10% water change a week, 30g a month)

Your ww is far cleaner than your toilet water, dish water, ect.

Why are you concerned with an estimated 30-90 gallons of ww in your leech field?

Wouldnt extra fresh water in a septic leech field be good?

It seems to me extra fresh water would dilute the potency of toxic compounds in the septic tank, and your leech water, nh4, sulfer, ect. Making it less contaminating to the immediate ground. Also create a slightly more habitable environment for all of your bacteria. Namely desulfavavibrio (misspelled i'm sure), probably one of the most crucial anaerobes in your septic, or anywhere, and is regularly killed or de-stratified by soaps,bleach, and other toxic compounds we put down our drain.

If your just looking to conserve water, more power to you!!! I suggest you drain all your waste water into a reservoir. Bigger the better, use it for everything washing dishes, clothes, watering plants, grass ect. You can even pump the ww back to your ro. with great success. I Have set up probably 10 or more systems where water shortages are an issue. IE, A well not big enough for the water demand of a building. We would regularly pump waste water back to our ro out of a huge res!!! Worked great

Thanks Sean

I am assuming you have a leech field, not a septic tank that needs to be emptied...
All septic systems have a leach field of some sort to deal with the liquid waste. And RO waste is perfectly fine for a leach field, assuming the soil passed a percolation test in the first place. RO waste water will never affect the pump-out requirement of a septic system.

Jeff

Hi Sean,

I never beat anybody up!
Actually, we have a septic tank and a leach field. I don't know if you ever have read up on septic systems, or have lived in a house with one (sounds like you have done one of the two or both), but, bacteria is escessential in breaking down human waste, paper, any small amount of kitchen grease/oil or food bits, etc that get into the tank. Generally those items sink to the bottom for decomposing. Items such as grease/oil etc. will float on the top for decomposing. There is an outlet a foot or two below the water line in the tank that leads to the leech field.
Excessive amounts of water wash the bacteria out of the tank and into the leech field. Some amounts of bacteria in the leech lines are helpful breaking down any "solids" that make it that far. However, most of the bacteria needs to stay in the tank to do their job.
In addition, it is recommended for long term success with a septic system, to "pump" the tank every 4 - 5 years. This helps take out items that may have gone down the drain by accident (tampons, etc) and remove the sludge that builds up on the bottom over a period of time.

Also, as I stated above, we run a soft water system, that includes an under the sink RO/DI unit for drinking water. So I already have waste water entering the syste.

So, I'm not concerned with the composition of the waste water going into the septic tank, I'm concerned with MORE water going into the tank than necessary.

Thanks for your reply.

To others that have suggested running it through the washer or dishwasher, How is your plumbing setup for this? Are you heating the water somehow before using? How is it delivered to each appliance? TIA

Last edited:
Back