Rock curing in bucket, low NO3 high PO4

malate

I have some rock I've been curing in a bucket for 6 months, and while the nitrates are very low, the phosphate levels are very high.

I want to use a couple of pieces in my display tank, but don't even want to introduce them if the bucket water PO4 levels are crazy.

Any thoughts on to successfully move over the rock that's curing?

Throw in bag of gfo. Change often till po4 is low. Or use lanthium chloride (i think, might want to do more research) which will draw out the po4 and precipitate out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my LR and used LaCl3 (PHOSfree). You can get it at any pool supply house or Amazon, but you have to make sure you get PHOSfree and not PHOSfree+. I changed the water out every couple of weeks supplemented with phosfree. I used ~100ml per 10g. It took a month+ to get PO4 from ~10ppm to <.03ppm.

Throw in bag of gfo. Change often till po4 is low. Or use lanthium chloride (i think, might want to do more research) which will draw out the po4 and precipitate out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight, Vincent. I was thinking of GFO, but haven't heard of lanthium chloride. I'll check I into it. Any recommendations on where to buy LC??

I used SeaKlear spa phosphate remover from amazon. ~1ml per 5 gallons. again, this should be used in a bin that you are soaking rock in. and the rock should be swished in clean salt water before put in tank. There are potential fish health issues using this in a tank with fish.

Back