Rock full of nitrates and phos

Hi everyone. So I've been reefing for a few years now and want to restart my tank that has gone to pot. I initially bought a load of live rock used that was in pretty poor state thinking I could clean it up and use it. Without much research I thought (incorrectly it appears) that taking it out and letting it go dry would help kill the nitrates and phosphates.

I bought a Red Sea reefer and filled with fresh water which when tested displayed 0 across the board which one would expect. Within an hour of putting this old LR in the nitrates and phosphates went through the roof. Obviously leaching everything back out. I've tried most methods of controlling it but it's just not happening. It is leaching far more than it's able to clean even with regular water changes and it's gotta go.

I am going to restart it with some dry rock probably after a deep clean but was wondering how I can properly treat this old rock to see if I can maybe reuse it in the future? I need it to not be leaching anything.

Look forward to your replies and advice.
Thanks.

It seems “cooking” or pre-cycling rock with lots of GFO or similar phosphate remover works pretty well. Another option that is said to work is a Muriatic acid bath. Just be sure to research and use PPE. My understanding is phosphate is primarily bound at the surface of the rock which is what allows these processes to work. Acid more quickly than GFO but both work from what research I’ve done.

A while back, I was in your same situation. I actually bought muriatic acid but, after researching, I chose not to go this method. We have two dogs and a cat, plus both of our daughters have two dogs each that are frequently at our house. I just didn't want to risk the animals getting into the acid bath.

I did what Shane suggested above. I put the rock in a 40 gallon Brute trashcan with powerheads, heater and a GFO reactor. I kept the lid on the trashcan and did weekly 50% water changes. I don't recall how long it took but, this removed the nitrates and phosphates.

That sounds like the way to go then. Did you use RO water or mix up salt water? I think I could handle the RO but I image would cost a bomb if salt water needed.

I'm guessing seeing as RO water is just tap water with nitrates and phosphates removed by the filter (amongst other things) then it is likely that the same nutrients will leach out of the rock back into water do you think?

I used RODI mixed with salt as I wanted to keep the bacteria alive in the rocks. But, you could just use RO or RODI without the salt...should(?) have the same results. RODI would be move effecting (IMO) then just RO water.

If there is a lot material like dead algae, etc. on the rock you might want to first clean the rock with a bleach/water mix or bath to remove as much of that as possible before trying the curing.

Sorry yes I meant RODI. I have a 4 stage system that should do the trick. I'm not too bothered about the 'good bacteria' that much. I just want the damn stuff dead of everything. It was mortifying putting so much work in and seeing the ultra low levels shoot up hours after adding the rock 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry yes I meant RODI. I have a 4 stage system that should do the trick. I'm not too bothered about the 'good bacteria' that much. I just want the damn stuff dead of everything. It was mortifying putting so much work in and seeing the ultra low levels shoot up hours after adding the rock 🤦🏻‍♂️
Just be patient, this method is not quick IME.

Back