Rocking/swaying water surface beneficial?

I was reading some stuff last night that your surface water rocking or swaying is really beneficial due to flow having a push and pull thing going on. I think it was tunze that was mentioning it and they were showing an inch of rise and fall of the sway.

First thought was overflow must sound like a mess. But wanted to see if anyone had experience with this. I mean if you have two power heads push and pulling I assume it is doing that below the surface, so do you think it's really worth it to make your water rock? :headwalls:

I’ve been reading about this too and watching videos. I know some swear you can’t replicate the amount of whole tank flow you can get from a wave box with power heads. Seems to make sense but I worry about all that weight shifting from one side to the other over and over, seems like a lot of stress on the tank. I do want to try one someday though. I’d sacrifice some overflow noise for water movement

My mp40 pulls water from all sides including the top, pushes it forward against my glass then the glass disperses the water. The swaying motion will surely cause splashing on each end of the tank and true, could cause too much stress tossing so much water toward the glass.

Mind you, I am running reefcrest so the flow against the glass isn't constant.

I always want full circulation with little to no stagnant spots, and make sure that all corals have a healthy flow rate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I ran a Tunze wavemaker a few years ago and I've been dying to run one again. But my tank is too shallow and too long. If I had at least an 18" preferably 20" or more, I'd do it again.
[MENTION=321414]Smite[/MENTION] I have talked to Tunze about the pressure created from the wavebox, I forget the specific details. But generally speaking I recall my concerns being over paranoia. Something like good quality tanks (like LeeMar specifically since that's what I had at that time) have a life expectancy of 12-15 years, the wave box would shorten that life span by less then 10%. Since I've never had the same tank for more than 5 years, it was not a concern to me.

I ran a Tunze wavemaker a few years ago and I've been dying to run one again. But my tank is too shallow and too long. If I had at least an 18" preferably 20" or more, I'd do it again.
[MENTION=321414]Smite[/MENTION] I have talked to Tunze about the pressure created from the wavebox, I forget the specific details. But generally speaking I recall my concerns being over paranoia. Something like good quality tanks (like LeeMar specifically since that's what I had at that time) have a life expectancy of 12-15 years, the wave box would shorten that life span by less then 10%. Since I've never had the same tank for more than 5 years, it was not a concern to me.

Good to know. Next tank is 25" with reinforced seams from CD and I'm super tempted to try one. Tank is gonna be in a corner so two blacked out panels, should be able to hide it somewhere if I do.

Good to know. Next tank is 25" with reinforced seams from CD and I'm super tempted to try one. Tank is gonna be in a corner so two blacked out panels, should be able to hide it somewhere if I do.

I would reconsider that. I'll text you.

This is one thing that should be built into all of the AIO tanks out there. Instead of having a simple return, use an integrated wave box.

Back