Rose Tip Anemone Question Problem ? Need Help

Tervos

Hey guys I have a problem so I just got a rose tip anemone and everyone says they need good flow and high light so I put my anemone at the top with good flow and light well he moved all the way down and under a rock and he's been there for about 4 days now looks healthy and good just thought it was wierd and was wondering if I should do anything or what? I mean this is my first anemone like he will go where he is comfortable I am assuming just wondering what other thought thank you.

normal. just leave it alone and it will crawl out of it's location and into a location that it likes in time.

Ditto. However - mine got itself up into a weird spot against the return flow, directly under my LEDs, and was shriveled up all week from the light. To the point of being unhealthy. I gave it a couple weeks to move, but it didn't - think it was confused by being up against the flow.
So I blocked out the light above him, causing him to be in shadow, and that apparently was enough incentive to force the nem to move to a better spot. Now he's much happier.

My nem seems to like moderate-high light, moderate-low flow.

Miserable (taken Wednesday night, I think):
IMAG2261.jpg

The next day, in his new spot:
DSC_0037.JPG

MOST importantly: TURN OFF YOU POWERHEADS while he's figuring out where he wants to be. I didn't turn down my flow after adding him. Thought he found a good spot. Next day he was very near dead, sucked into the grate of my WP10. Lost about half of his tentacles.

My bubble tip also moved away from the high flow into a more medium flow, and wasn't a huge fan of the higher light intensity at the top of the tank either. I am wondering if that is just a misconception and bubble tips really like a more moderate environment. Like others have said though, just leave him be and he'll find what he likes. However, if he starts looking bad try casting a shadow over his current spot to force a move. I did that with a rock flower. It was stubborn at first and just stretched around the arch I put above it, but eventually I won that battle and it decided to move. :)

20141115_122013_resized_zpsc5e69c4d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141115_122019_resized_zps3ace6e68.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141115_125152_resized_zps2a66f3d1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are some images of it now. Its low in the tank and away from the flow just thought it was weird But here he is and now my clown fish are not going in the anemone will they? They never have but is there something I can do to help them I only have had this anemone for about a week now thanks.

Agreed, it'll be fine there. My clowns didn't host for a couple weeks. I finally printed out a couple pictures of clowns hosting, taped them to the tank, and they were hosting within a day or three.

Mine split and both halves tucked their feet under a rock in the middle of the tank. During the day they stretch out into the light and flow and at night they tuck back in under the rock to sleep I guess. They both seem content, one on the front of the rock and one on the back. I've never tried to move them.

a>

With many RBTAs being captive "bred" it seems like matching the flow and light of the tank it came from would be more important than recreating its "natural" habitat.

I just put in a new Rita last night. I turned off the pumps and put it where I wanted and crossed my fingers. This morning it is open and did not move. I turned everything back on and so far so good.

Nice so hopefully my clowns will host in there..... So you printed a picture out and they just saw clowns in the picture hosting and they went in that is crazy I might try this in a week if they don't host by then

So here's what happened to us:
Our first nem is a Zebra Stripe, we had bad advice from our LFS that it would host clowns. Except that it has turned out to be a really pretty nem, I love the color on it a lot. But lonely clown fish are lonely clown fish. So I ordered a RBTA from Vivid Aquariums. The zebra is firmly in the sand bed, has been there for almost a year now, so I hoped that a RBTA would pick a spot on rock and the two would be ok in the same tank.
The day after I ordered the RBTA, my female clown moved into the old nem. I thought there was disaster coming for sure except they seem to have made an arrangement and both seem happy. (The male clown is not at all sure about the situation.)
The RBTA arrived and is absolutely gorgeous (and huge!). I put it into the tank and after a couple of hours attached pretty high up on the rock and in pretty decent flow it climbed behind the rocks and has been in hiding for four days. I'm waiting to see how all of this is going to play out.

Thanks for the info you guys have been great help I will keep you posted and let you know if the clowns will go in the nem

Is it natural for rose tips to get flat at night it seems like he bulbs during they day but at night he gets long and flat this is my first nem so i don't know any info will help thanks

They typically deflate considerably at night. Mine often completely ball up or go into the rocks at night and inflate normally during the day. I don't think anyone has ever proven any theories why sometimes they bubble and sometimes extend tentacles. I have seen them vary throughout the day - no worries either way.

Ok thanks for the help do you have any tips on how to get your clowns to go into the nem? Or any info how long it take for them to go in ? My LFS said that this was a sure thing but it's been a week now and it seems like they haven't noticed it

It's not a sure thing... Hate to tell you your LFS lied to you, don't be to upset happens more often then not unfortunately. Even my regular fish shop I take what they say with caution even though they have never steered me wrong.
Clowns will choose to bond with what ever they please. My clowns stayed by my heater for 2 months, then chose a powerhead, and finally 5 months later they have taken interest on my RBTA.
I've read that people will use garlic somehow but never looked to much into that as I believe in if there's nothing wrong don't touch.

Back