Rubbermaid simple sump...HELP!!

tanyashankles

Hi there, GREAT INSTRUCTIONS ON SUMPS!! I have been searching and searching for a how-to on rubbermaid sumps and been at RC for about a month or two and just now found it. I have searched all over the web too. Anyway, My question is, right now I have a wet dry with very little mechanical filtration. And the perimeters seem fine, and stable, so I agree that with a skimmer mechanical filtration is not really needed, unless you have a heavy bioload and no sump for the added water volume. Anyway sorry got sidetracked, my question refers to the aquariums stability during the transition from wet dry to sump... Should I load my rubbermaid with my lr rubble that is in my wet dry or will that upset the bacteria? I have 100 lbs of LR in my display and about 50 of LS. I have a return pump and overflow (glass display) that I plan to use that is running my wet dry as we speak. My water volume needs to be more, which is why im hoping that the 36 gallon rubbermaid will fit in my stand. The water trough method looks like what I am picturing in my head, with every thing inside the sump, with no drilling. My husband will not be as enthusiastic to do all this changing around, he loves the tank but as an admirer, he dont want no part in the upkeep. So in short (what a joke.. Short) I my questions are Can I use rubbermaid with no baffles (im assuming this is the divider things) and my existing rock rubble maybe add some more in the future, with some home depot "plant" lights (50 watt low heat good spectrum without high $$) with my skimmer, return pump, and maybe mangrove in some Live Sand and how do I keep the live sand from getting sucked in by the pump? Thank you!!!! Tanya

Oh yeah one more thing, can I just do a 1 2 3 switch, or does it have to be cycled if it is existing LR... I have alot of coral... Thanks!!

Back