Ruby Red Dragonetp

IIRC, the male has a great magnificent flag of a first dorsal fin (which he often carries folded against his back), and the female's first dorsal is much more modest.

HTH

~B.

Having trouble with your Ruby Red Dragonets? I feel you. Right now I am trying to go about mating my two mandarinfish together. I'd say they'd feel way more comfortable with coral, ulva sea lettuce, and plenty of sand and live rock. Remember to provide regular nighttime lighting and ample food and shelter. GO to Dr. Foster and Smith and you'll find some jar w/a picture of a blue mandarinfish on it labeled "Rubble Rock," that really helped my finger dragonets to get to their first spawn.
Best Wishes,
FlameAngelfish
P.S.
If the tank isn't tall enough or they have aggressive or egg-eating tankmates the ruby reds won't spawn anyways. Plus mandarinfish have a spawning season that's fixed with all other reef inhabitants. Trick them into thinking that the season's here by getting some of Dr. Eco System's "Doc's Eco Eggs" to try and fool them. Either it works or the dragonets eat up the eggs like crazy. When all else fails, tell me and I'll do what I can for you w/last resorts in the breeding process.

Thanks unfortanatly I think I may have 2 males...however the one is still not putting up its first dorsal fin. Slim hope still. I'll have to take to one back and keep my eye out for a female. If they both are males how would the aggression between the 2 be?

lyman,
Your Ruby Reds could be both female! That will call for trouble when breeding season (summertime) comes around. Find out the genders (The fins could get seriously damaged during capture and handling) and if my FM/FM suspicions are right, get an easy-feeding seahorse like a captive-bred Kuda to distract them for the moment (Dragonet+Seahorse=Friendship) and then you can quietly slip a male into the tank. if suspicions are incorrect or you find out the genders, tell me ASAP. I'm not boasting (much) but I'm a dragonet expert and can help you.
Reply soon,
FlameAngelfish:fish1:

I appreciate the help, this weekend was real busy and didn't get to watch much last night. Tonight I get a little more time. Next 2 days though I will be off from work so maybe I can get some fin action. So far I have not see much in terms of them putting up there fins.

Also if it means anything I have not seen any aggression in the times I could watch. I'll see them perched right next to each other

Well after observing them for a week now I still can't sex them. I have seen the front fin on them both come up but getting a pic of it is impossible. I still think they are both males but then again I might not really know what a female looks like either. And behavior wise if I understand this right they act like a male and female. Anyways here is a pic of them together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
you should easily be able to tell the sex regardless of it they raise the fin or not. its pretty blatant even when its folded down

I agree the top looks male. \
he bottom I can't tell. The top one has a 'huge shoulders' Mine is very wide right there in the head gill area. Much wider than my girls. However he started out not looking much different except for the top fin. He was too skinny when I bought him. After I got them on frozen brine and copepods they fattened up and my male exploded with a very wide gill/head area and he is easily twice as big as the girls.

The bottom one looks like it might be widening also. Hard to say.

Back