Safe places to order Live rock from

Mcjudge

Can I get some recommendations on where on the web to order live rock. Good quality, big selection, that is harvested properly. Kind of new to the bobby and just don't know where to start. Thanks ahead of time.

Not even sure if this is posted in the correct place or not. I did use the search and looked for about an hour and couldn't find what i was looking for.

I bought aquacultured live rock from sealifeinc.net and am very happy with the quality. The owner is also very involved in coral restoration in the Florida Keys, so I think it's a good choice. (There are links on the web site.)

Try and find someone breaking down a tank or try to buy the rock that is dumped into the ocean to have life seed to it, then collected rather then broken off a reef.

TonysColumbianLiveRock.com

Montna.bmp

"I bring you da best @#%&@*^$!, meng."

Don't get live rock from Live Aquaria, I did and it was horrid. Had it for 8 months with no corraline growth. I ended up having to spend locally to seed it.

My LR from Live Aquaria came fresh plenty of corraline algae in many colors and it even had some life on it. Maybe you got a bad batch.

Live rock from Live Aquaria is some of the best out there. They always have very reasonable prices and I've never experienced anything but top notch quality and service from Live Aquaria and DFS. Coralline growth isn't dependent on the live rock, but on the optimal conditions for coralline growth being met (which isn't necessarily a good thing or any sort of indicator of ecological health within the aquarium). Go with Live Aquaria, you won't be sorry.

I know I'm not the only one who's had a bad experience at Live Aquaria, but no one can be perfect. A few people i know that got the Lalo rock had the same problems I did. On a side note, they did refund my entire order, including the shipping eight months after I purchased it. But I have had problems with their other products as well.

i bought my live rock from live aquaria 2 years ago and never had any problems with it...it really doesnt matter what comes on it because you have to cycle it anyway...i bought the Caribbean live rock for like 160.00$ for 45lbs and its covered in coraline now...plus ive never had any problems with them what so ever!!i would definatly buy from them again and as far is going to your LFS its a good idea if you want cycled live rock but youll pay big for it...if you have the time and patience i would buy your LR online and Cycle it yourself.

...TonysColumbianLiveRock.com...

Was i the only gullible fool that actually typed in TonysColumbianLiveRock.com into their web browser?

..."my liverock is full of beneficial cok-a-roaches."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13083157#post13083157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TomCs
Was i the only gullible fool that actually typed in TonysColumbianLiveRock.com into their web browser?

:hmm5: I think so, lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13239393#post13239393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jflip2002
:hmm5: I think so, lol
Yep think you were:) Love liveaquaria.

But i will only buy rock from places like Macrorock or the eco rock from bulkreefsupply. I dont want any hitchhikers

bulk reef supply gets my vote , cant belive how much more you get per pound when its dry....shipping is so much cheaper too!

To summarize the responses, I think that the following environmentally safe LR sources were mentioned:

Bulk Reef Supply (dry rock) - www.bulkreefsupply.com

Tampa Bay Saltwater (aquacultured rock) - www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Sealife Inc. (aquacultured rock) - www.sealifeinc.net

liveaquaria.com (aquacultured rock) - (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+2565&pcatid=2565)

Premium Aquatics (CaribSea dry rock) - www.premiumaquatics.com

Calling dry rock "safe" assumes that the dry rock was collected from land or otherwise wasn't serving as aquatic habitat when it was collected. TBS and Sealife both use coral rock from dry land for their cultures, and Liveaquaria's source uses synthetic rock. I'm not sure about the dry rock companies. I don't want to know about Tony's special rock! ;)

Hope this summary is helpful in identifying environmentally safe LR sources. Please post anything that I missed...

Thanks for all of the replies, I will let everyone know what I end up buying, and take some pictures when it arrives. Thanks for the summary, sl-atl.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12973638#post12973638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltWaterQueen
I know I'm not the only one who's had a bad experience at Live Aquaria, but no one can be perfect. A few people i know that got the Lalo rock had the same problems I did. On a side note, they did refund my entire order, including the shipping eight months after I purchased it. But I have had problems with their other products as well.

Live Aquaria is one of the best places concerning customer service. I think you may have taken advantage of this when it came to getting a refund "8 months later". I mean, who else does this? 8 months? Are you kidding me?

I was lucky and got Live Aquaria's live rock on sale at the time. It came in big pieces and was much, much cheaper than my lfs who wanted 9 bucks a pound for rock which on their website looked awesome, but in person certainly wasn't nearly as good.

Back