Safe to order in colder weather?

eschaton

Hey all,

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a new tank - otherwise known as negotiating with the wife about tank location and size! :lol2:

Once I set up the tank mechanically, I'd like to make an order of rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater as soon as my budget allows. But given it's already mid-October it probably won't be until December (if not later) that I can make a rock/sand order. Pittsburgh is pretty cold in the winter, and I'm worried about die-off during transit. I'd prefer not to wait until spring, because I want to have a long period to let the tank ecosystem mature/stabilize before adding purchased livestock, but if that's what's best to eliminate die-off, so be it.

Hey all,

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a new tank - otherwise known as negotiating with the wife about tank location and size! :lol2:

Once I set up the tank mechanically, I'd like to make an order of rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater as soon as my budget allows. But given it's already mid-October it probably won't be until December (if not later) that I can make a rock/sand order. Pittsburgh is pretty cold in the winter, and I'm worried about die-off during transit. I'd prefer not to wait until spring, because I want to have a long period to let the tank ecosystem mature/stabilize before adding purchased livestock, but if that's what's best to eliminate die-off, so be it.

No worries on ordering anytime of the year. Air cargo happens so fast there is not time to have any issues. Usually is same/next day pick up. We pack the rock underwater in insulated containers. That is why we ship air cargo, fast efficient and no issues as it is in transit in climate controlled environments, unlike ground service which can be days and days getting to you...in unheated trucks........warehouses.....

in your case PIT is real easy..., I pack it in the morning....you pick it up after lunch....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

No worries on ordering anytime of the year. Air cargo happens so fast there is not time to have any issues. Usually is same/next day pick up. We pack the rock underwater in insulated containers. That is why we ship air cargo, fast efficient and no issues as it is in transit in climate controlled environments, unlike ground service which can be days and days getting to you...in unheated trucks........warehouses.....

in your case PIT is real easy..., I pack it in the morning....you pick it up after lunch....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Are weekend air cargo deliveries available?

Back