Sail fin tang fins were nipped

Alexmmix111

So I bought this sail fin at my lfs because he'd been in their tank for about 3 months so they gave me a discount because his fins were next to gone. Now I've had him about 6 months and most of his bottom fin has grown back but his top doesn't seem to be doing so well and I was wondering if anyone knows if they'll ever fully grow back.(ignore the algae I've been working a ton and haven't had time to get on top of it but I'll be fixing it this weekend).
f055e8c5c0b8590037fa88a056dfc516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's rough. Mine lost some of his top fin, I think it was HLLE though. I've been feeding selcon fortified nori almost every day and removed all of the carbon from the tank. It's been growing back very slowly.

Good lick

Spines are harder to regrow than rays.

The fish has good weight. But other than that, it doesn't look so hot. HLLE. I'm not sure what the spot on the belly is.

Make sure you are feeding extra well. Mysis, pellets, nori, etc. As hkgar mentioned, they need a huge tank.

He was a rescue so I thought my tank was better then the one they had him in. Eventually I'm hoping to get a bigger tank

easy enough. What size you wanna go to? The main issue you run into is that if he is stressed (not saying he is) it will cause he fins to not really grow back. How do fins even get like that :uhoh3:

How big is he now? He will need at least 180 and 240 is preferred. Tangs need plenty of horizontal space to swim. They are constantly on the move looking for food as they are grazers.

My Two Barred Rabbit fish is as big as my Atlantic Blue Tang and could probably get by with far less space, he is just content sitting around and taking a periodic slow lap swim.

His fins were nipped at by some dotty backs in the store so I bought him. Right now he's about 3.5 inches from head to tail.

How big is he now? He will need at least 180 and 240 is preferred. Tangs need plenty of horizontal space to swim. They are constantly on the move looking for food as they are grazers.

My Two Barred Rabbit fish is as big as my Atlantic Blue Tang and could probably get by with far less space, he is just content sitting around and taking a periodic slow lap swim.

120g.

As mentioned above, the tank is too small. For the time being, if it is eating good, I would feed a lot of Nori and soak its food in some Selcon or Vita-Chem. To me, that looks like HLLE.

A friends gem tang had lost its fins like this and he said it was from flukes. He did methylene blue dips a few times a week and the fins were growing back pretty well. Good water quality will definitely help speed it along as well.

Back