Salifert test kit syringe reading

nycman

I have a question seeking clarity on how to read the syringe on these test kits. there is a video on youtube (the first one in this list when you type salifert) from a guy named Billy Pipes that I think is wrong. When he draws the liquid from the Salifert bottle, he pulls it until the top side of the black plunger is at the 1ml line, and the bottom side is at the .85ml line. in this case the top side of the plunger is facing upwards toward the plunger handle, and the bottom side faces the bottle and fluid being drawn into the syringe.

I have seen other videos and have interpreted the written instructions from Salifert specifying that you draw liquid until the bottom part of the syringe is at the 1ml line, regardless of whether there is an air bubble below it (meaning you don't draw until the water line below the air bubble is at the 1ml line.

And then after you have dispensed the liquid into the test tube and want to read the level on the syringe, you invert it so that it is facing upwards, and make the reading where the same part of the black plunger is - what previously was the bottom side facing down but is now the top side facing up. At that point you make the reading to determine your value to look up in the table.

Do I have this right?

I have to disagree with this statement.
The amount of air inside depends on how tightly the tip is pushed onto the syringe.
This could change the "85" figure.
Pull the plunger all the way up & then slowly push it down until it reads the top line --DONE!
The reading is whatever line the plunger is @ when finished. 45, 38, 10 or whatever.

Back