Salt Babies Part 3

So dph 4 on the bellas. many still alive.

Built a copepod collector today so hopefully I can supply my own apex nauplli.

a few Rubies of different ages still around.

Flames throwing eggs but haven't gotten egg and sperm together. It's funny because the dance and rise but they don't release until they head back to the rock and they are going in different directions so...

Tomorrow I build a kreisel or attempt one.

My reidi seahorses tried mating today but spilled the eggs. Tried to give them to my emaciated mandarin but she turned her nose up and fresh seahorse eggs. Argh..

I don't think I'll be able to keep these going but we will see. But I have learned some interesting things doing this. When these crap out or when my rotifers recover I'll try again with some changes. hopefully improvements.

Thanks. A little bummed today. Can't find my oldest ruby red. Though that doesn't mean she isn't still in there because they are still so small they are hard to see. And I knocked over a jar of most of my small apex pods.

The bellas though are still going to that's good. I know that by day 5 they have to be past the starvation period meaning some are eating. For me it looked like starvation was day 2 or 3. This make sense as stay in the egg long enough to develop and have a small oil globule left.

So right now I have quite a few bellas and one or two rubies at 5 dph.
The bellas I probably have about 50. and a few grass shrimp larva 5 dph too.

Built a copepod collector today so hopefully I can supply my own apex nauplli.

Did you follow the University of Florida design or did you do your own thing?

I plan on building one resembling the UF design but also try to come up with something that can be easier manufactured in numbers and is service friendly.

I mostly followed their design I guess.

Mine is probably smaller as my copepod tank is smaller.

I have one of the strainers that fit on the end of a uptake pipe (screw in). Covered it in 90 micron fabric. That screwed into a coupling then pipe (which I did not glue in so that I can change the height as needed but fits tight). This comes to a coupling that is glued in a 'cup' which has 25 micron fabric. I can also raise or lower the height of the up pipe inside the cup.

I drop an airstone in the center and let it run. It works ok I think. I got less copepods then I expected but hard to tell if it is my culture or my collector.

I'll post a pic in a little bit if I can.

Here's my first copepod collector. I left one corner for pouring and so far haven't had the screens clog. If I need to I can add 2 more screens. The two small connector pipes are not glued so I can adjust the height. My current copepod tank isn't very tall. I can also unscrew the bottom screen which means I can replace it with a different size if I want something different.

picture.php

This is the nauplii collector I built:

attachment.php

attachment.php

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NgdapZcASzw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 20200612_030810_Film2-c1.jpg
    20200612_030810_Film2-c1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200612_164201_Film2-c1.jpg
    20200612_164201_Film2-c1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2
Back