salt

I've used IO, Reef Crystals, and Tropic Marlin all with no problems and all the same good results, now that i have moved to south florida i'm going to be giving the ocean a try!

I can't believe that no one has answered in your thread.

I use Instant Ocean. Its not the most expensive and maybe doesn't have as much magnesium, or Calcium as some of the other brands, but it is consistent. I mean that it always dissolves and I've never had a bad batch or problem in 30 years keeping both Fish and Reefs. I have bread clowns and produced lots of corals using it. What ever salt mix that you use, your water will become depleted if you are growing more than just fish, so you will need to have a reactor or do some supplementing anyway. Oh and it is relatively inexpensive too. :)

There are a lot of high end salts Tropic Marin is one and then there are the lower end of the price scale salts which are good to use as well.

Instant Ocean has been around for a long time and is one of the more inexpensive brands. Decent salt with a lot of people using it.

I personally use SeaChem Reef Salt. I just like SeaChem products and can get it at a good price locally ($38 a bucket).

A good thing to check is doing a water test on your newly made-up saltwater. Test for nitrates and phosphates since the more inexpensive salts have been know to introduce these unwanted things.

i recently read a study from shimek, hat showed how IO is one of the worst salts available!

also...well, i dont want to thread jack, so i will make a new one!

Back