Sand

Capt. Nemo

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of setting up my first tank(FOWLR). I just added LR on Friday and will be adding sand today. I need some advice on cleaning the sand and on how I can avoid creating a sandstorm in my tank. What would be the best way to add the sand without getting it all over the LR? I will be doing a shallow sand bed. Thanks !

Gary

i lined the tank with a trash bag on top of the sand. then placed a large bowl on top of that and slowly poured in the sand. once tank is filled, remove bowl, remove trash bag. your going to get some cloudiness regardless, but this wont get sand everywhere.

You have a couple options. Your best is to take a cup and scoop it and lower the cup into the bottom of the tank and tip it over.

Make sure the pumps are off and no real water movement is happening during the drop in.

The second if you are MacGyver you can create a slide from PVC piping (Longer then the depth of the aqurium) and use makeshift funnel on the end and just have somebody pour the sand in and move the tube around.

*Note* Second is only for the foolish or stupid, or Richard Dean Anderson.

Shua

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7490491#post7490491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kurt72
i lined the tank with a trash bag on top of the sand. then placed a large bowl on top of that and slowly poured in the sand. once tank is filled, remove bowl, remove trash bag. your going to get some cloudiness regardless, but this wont get sand everywhere.

thats how i did mine. no sandstorm at all until i had a powerhead fall.

Thanks guys! Great ideas! What advice would you give as far as cleaning the sand before placing it in the tank. I would assume I would have to use RO water in the cleaning process. Thanks.

i didnt even rinse mine. :) im not going to say thats a good thing or bad however. but i wouldnt worry about using RO water tap will be fine for that. just let as much water out of the sand as possible.

There is really no need to rinse the sand. Also just to show you how well the trash bag trick works, here are a couple pictures from when I set my tank up.

Water is going in at this point
filling.jpg

Later that same day
new75.jpg

Back