SC Aquariums vs Red Sea Reefer

gmdcdvm

I need some opinions. After my recent issues trying to set up my 29g biocube I have decided to just go with a plug and play aquarium either from SC Aquariums or Red Sea. Looking at something in the 50-70g range since the max width of 36 inches for the wall I have available.

What are your thoughts/experiences with either?

Gerry

From what I've seen and having experience with my brother many tanks. Red Sea is a solid setup for plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like my Red Sea, but it's not perfect. Lots of room for improvement.

The valve is finicky and I hate the sump configuration. I also wish they didn't have such a huge overflow box.

Red Sea's are great, I had a 250 and now a 425XL. The overflow on the Red Sea is also more low profile then the SC tanks.

From what I've seen and having experience with my brother many tanks. Red Sea is a solid setup for plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey Gerry,
My bro has seen me switch tanks many, many, many times. Almost on a yearly basis. Haha. I have previously owned a Biocube 29g, multiple Innovative Marine tanks, SCA 50g cube, CadLight 45g shallow and now currently have a Red Sea Reefer 250. Hands down the Reefer 250 has a better overall build quality. Silicone on the tanks are better, all glass overflow is slimmer vs the plastic on the SCA and I believe both stands are made of MDF but the laminate on the Reefer is of higher quality. The laminate on the SCA tank started to peel off in some areas with high moisture. Plumbing is decent on both but the Red Sea could've made the plastic not so thin. The Reefer will have an adjustable valve which is nice but it can be finicky at times. Sump design is okay but wish there was a dedicated area for a fuge. Red Sea has a huge community on Facebook groups so it's nice to see what mods others have done and a great place for advise. Give me a text if you want to stop by and check out my Reefer 250. I'm less than 10min away from Sage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the two, RSR gets my vote.

Anyone in the bay have a Waterbox? The Marine 70.3 has similar stats to a 250 (its shorter I believe) but $300 less? They look pretty good in photos.

Red Sea's are great, I had a 250 and now a 425XL. The overflow on the Red Sea is also more low profile then the SC tanks.

I also have a Reefer 250 and looking to jump to 425xl. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinion in regards to the upgrade.

Did you have to upgrade lights/skimmer/return pump or power head?

I'm currently running two xr30 pro / nyos 120 / dual 230 gyre / varios 6

Out of those two , the reefer 250. Amazing tanks! I just picked up my tank. It was beween the Waterbox 70.3, 50.3 ,Sr 60, red sea 250 or the new Jbj flat panal 65 aio. After tons of research and seeing all tanks, i went with the jbj flatpanal 65. The reasons were the dimensions and costs and clariry of glass. The glass is as good as the reefer 250 on this one, The height is the same as reefer 250 and 2 inches taller then waterbox 70.3 and the depth is the same as the water box 70.3 without a sump and 1.5 wider then the waterbox 50.3 aio. As much as sumps can help, you cant beat an Aio as long as you do weekly water changes:)

So in the end id say go with the reefer 250 but if you want a great Aio go with the Jbj flatpanal 65. Its the best less known mid sized tank right now and an aio. Also the stand is same as red sea quality, good not great. Laninated MDF but solid. Waterbox has best stands. Build quality on tank on par with innovative marine too. Not quite as good as red sea. The tank and stand go for $1050. But i got mine for $900 shipped with a special sale from live aquaria:) in fact it will be here anyday now:) Heres a vid of the tank

https://youtu.be/5ghQITZB9X4

And a build thread https://www.*********.com/threads/n...-flat-panel-alo-65-gal-aquarium-build.548095/

Last edited:
I also have a Reefer 250 and looking to jump to 425xl. Would love to hear your thoughts and opinion in regards to the upgrade.

Did you have to upgrade lights/skimmer/return pump or power head?

I'm currently running two xr30 pro / nyos 120 / dual 230 gyre / varios 6

Unfortunately I can't give you any concrete thoughts on the 425xl running as its in my garage waiting to be setup! I'll be transferring over everything from my existing tank but its essentially a wider and deeper 250 as I'm sure you know. Depending on what you will be keeping the equipment you have now should be fine; if your mostly sps then an additional xr15 in the middle flanked by the xr30's could be nice but your pump, power head and skimmer should more then do the job.

I personally own an 170 and an 250 before. I like almost about everything from Redsea except few issues, here is my problem with red sea.

1/ Stock plumping pipe and joint are bad. very easy to get leak.
2/ Stock ATO reservoir and gravity need to upgrade.
3/ Stock sump is ok but can do better.
4/ Stand is very tight and cannot add much.

Have you checked out the Cadlights Versa II 60g cube? Been thinking about pulling the trigger on one but doesnt look like its a common tank people buy

This is all very helpful information. Keep it coming. I haven't pulled the trigger on a tank. Now you have all mad it a little harder, but that is good. For the amount of money I want to make sure I make the right choice.
Gerry

Damn Jazzmanb. Now you have me looking at the JBJ 65 as well.

Gerry

Yeah i looked for two weeks lol and talked to three owners that love theirs. Cant go wrong with the Red Sea either . JBJ was the oiriginator of the aio nano tank lol but they don't have the marketing of the others. They also has some issues with their curved glass tanks as all did. They do have great customer service but you gotta do it directly .I had all my questions answered on a few separate days. They answer their phones right away. Id say if yiu want an All in one, go JBJ 65. if you want a sump, go Red sea 250. The water box 70.3 is worhty of a look too. But its a couple inches shorter. Good luck:) The Red Sea 250 is 3" deeper then the JBJ as well so the 250 is the biggest overall.

Last edited:
Obviously the sump situation is not good on any AIO tanks. Eshopps makes different sized refugiums that fit right in with red seas plumbing. Jbj does make a nice looking AIO. But that's all it is, nice looking. Red sea has the market hands down. Waterbox looks like they have a similar product to red sea. I might go with waterbox when I need a frag tank and just switch the sump.

Best of luck with your choice.

Obviously the sump situation is not good on any AIO tanks. Eshopps makes different sized refugiums that fit right in with red seas plumbing. Jbj does make a nice looking AIO. But that's all it is, nice looking. Red sea has the market hands down. Waterbox looks like they have a similar product to red sea. I might go with waterbox when I need a frag tank and just switch the sump.

Best of luck with your choice.

Yeah a sump gives far more options but that jbj back area is no joke. Its BIG. and if you ran say a tunze 9004 in each overflow chamber [i plan on running two:) So each overflow will have its own surface skimmer it should do amazingly well. Possibly as good as a sump with big skimmer but we shall see. Then you can run a small reactor and media too. I want the most simple,cost effective setup. I mean super simple but im not doing am sps dominated tank either. It will a mixed reef with a lot of activity from fish.

The only thing i wont have room for is a refugium,though i can probably mod the return area with a light and cheato:
) So yeah it just matters how much you want a sump. Im personally kind of addicted to All in ones after having systems with sumps most of my reefing days. There is something so cool about making it all work in an All in one:) I loved my innovative marine 30L all in one and juat wanted Bigger:)

This is all subjective and yes the JBJ is a beautiful looking tank i honestly think their marketing sucks but thats about it. The tank is innovative marine quality, maybe not quite up to the red sea 250 but very close:) ya know Acrylic back wall before back area instead of glass on the reefer or waterbox etc. The stands are just as good as the red sea. Heavy duty and laminated with a nice water resistant gloss. Both the red sea and JBJ stands are the same really, only the waterbox has a better stand. Waterbox uses real plywood and they have leveling feet, 3 hinges on each door and are oddly priced cheaper then both the jbj and Red sea MDF stands

Last edited:
Back