Screen top

reef monster96

Does anyone know to build a screened in top for a aquarium because I would like a baby snowflake ell so I need ideas to know how to build one

Does anyone know to build a screened in top for a aquarium because I would like a baby snowflake ell so I need ideas to know how to build one

Bulk reef supply has a youtube channel that shows you how to build one. I use the clear screen mesh that they sell.

Are you sure you want a screen top? It would probably rust and flake into the tank and cause your water to evaporate very quickly. You could get a tight fitting glass lid. That's what I have with my Stout Moray and Baby Jeweled moray and they have never gotten out.

Are you sure you want a screen top? It would probably rust and flake into the tank and cause your water to evaporate very quickly. You could get a tight fitting glass lid. That's what I have with my Stout Moray and Baby Jeweled moray and they have never gotten out.

I have run one for years with no problems. The farm is aluminum so no rusting. Easy to build check brs. That being said I don't know if that would stop an eel from getting out if it wanted too.

OK having the screen made out of aluminum or plastic will definitely prevent rusting but what about all the evaporation?

Are you able to use glass tops? I have 2 eels and im using glass versa tops and ive never had an issue with them escaping. Ive had one of the eels for over 2 years now. Only problem I could think of if you used the brs diy top is its plastic and probably light weight. Like roger said the eel might be able to lift the plastic top if it wanted to.

Thanks I'll check out brs but I would rather have the netting one rather than glass so when the water evaporates it doesn't leave a salt layer on top

I built my screen using supplies from Lowe's with the exception of netting from my lfs. Screen frames are typically aluminum so no need to worry about rust. I have heard good things about brs kits.

OK having the screen made out of aluminum or plastic will definitely prevent rusting but what about all the evaporation?

Look into an auto top off. I evaporate 3gal per day. Helps my keep my all and calcium up via Kalk from the water replacement

Back