Screwed myself big time

ReefWhatYouSow

So I am at a loss where to go from here but to give you an idea where I was coming from...

I had my entire tank up and running without issues. Well... At least no major issues. Now I have a major issue.

I have been using Apex to run the tank etc. I had two eb8s that everything was hooked into. I didn't set them up, my neighbor did so I'm lost when looking at the apex.

I added a third eb8, plugged it into the wall, connected it to the other eb8, and then plugged my apex feeder into it. I was able to schedule it and it worked great!

UNTIL NOW!

So.... The outlets on the eb8 were NOT working. I did some research and came across this, thinking it would work.

66254906ca5f9be336a8fc4b06557d70.jpg

After doing that everything shut off lol... I laugh cause I want to cry. Nothing is programmed anymore. I have no clue how. And while I was trying to add outlets, there looks to be less outlets! See here...

d7fac7f6e1d48c0b36d34d24b84f365d.jpg

I'm going to plug the main pump directly into the wall outlet just so I have flow but I could really use someone to come over and set this up for me, while showing me how. I'm a visual person and while it is nice to read and have people message me with ideas, it never works out correctly for me. I'm at a loss and appreciate anyone that can spare some time. Just let me know what I owe you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to work today but I will do my best to come tonight if nobody else has come before. I'm not an apex expert but I do ok. In the mean time I would make sure everything is plugged in all the way. Aquabus cables to each eb8. If everyone is plugged in start by unplugging all power to eb8s from wall sockets to power off the apex completely. Also the 12v plug from head unit if u have one. Then wait 5 min plug it in see if it needs a reboot. If that doesn't help email Neptune to find common problems as to why your outlets disappear. There answer will help me help u. Also just so u know apex is great and they will log into your apex and do everything for u to get it going again if u email them they will setup a time that works for you to call u back and log into the apex remotely .i know u r prob looking for a faster response but they r pretty quick normally. Just so u know.

If you were not so far, I would say I could help you, but if you are willing to give me remote access and tell me what you want to plug into each outlet, I can try and help out remotely.

I have to work today but I will do my best to come tonight if nobody else has come before. I'm not an apex expert but I do ok. In the mean time I would make sure everything is plugged in all the way. Aquabus cables to each eb8. If everyone is plugged in start by unplugging all power to eb8s from wall sockets to power off the apex completely. Also the 12v plug from head unit if u have one. Then wait 5 min plug it in see if it needs a reboot. If that doesn't help email Neptune to find common problems as to why your outlets disappear. There answer will help me help u. Also just so u know apex is great and they will log into your apex and do everything for u to get it going again if u email them they will setup a time that works for you to call u back and log into the apex remotely .i know u r prob looking for a faster response but they r pretty quick normally. Just so u know.

Hey Roger. I really appreciate it. I'm at a loss unfortunately, but I'm hoping that not only does this get fixed but I can learn how to do it. I'll text you on my way home if nobody else can make it by today.

If you were not so far, I would say I could help you, but if you are willing to give me remote access and tell me what you want to plug into each outlet, I can try and help out remotely.

Hey Manny! I would totally be open to giving you remote access but 1. No clue how and 2. I really want to physically see how to do everything for now. Maybe after someone helps me set everything up initially you can help me with the scheduling of things etc. I'm sure a lot of people are looking at me like, "how does he not get it. It's so simple" lol...

It's not always super simple. I would definitely send an email as I suggested to Neptune that way if it is something major they can get that squared away first.

initializing outlets probably means you reset to factory defaults - so all of your programming is lost.

Unless you have a backup to restore -all the outlet programming is going to need to be re-done. Check with your neighbor - maybe they made a backup for you.

This is a common problem on the internet. Heck, even I run into crap posts like you did (except it's linux I'm trying to learn). It's very easy to run across a post like this and take it out of context thinking it will solve the problem. Without a good understanding of the base platform you are working with - you implement what is suggested in the post and blow everything away.

All I can say is I'm sorry this happened to you and consider it a lesson learned. If you dont understand something from top to bottom - don't implement anything you come across on the internet.

Like Ted said I hope you have a back up. You will need to download the teamviewer app to your computer so the can take over.

If you added a used eb8 then what happened was your new eb8 had the same address as an existing module in your system. It freaks the apex out and wipes it back to factory. Always have a back up. It is slightly possible that they can recover your program for the most part but it will likely just be a text file you will have to copy and paste everything to each outlet.

If anyone adds a used module of any kind be aware this can happen and you should always have a backup or 3.

initializing outlets probably means you reset to factory defaults - so all of your programming is lost.

Unless you have a backup to restore -all the outlet programming is going to need to be re-done. Check with your neighbor - maybe they made a backup for you.

This is a common problem on the internet. Heck, even I run into crap posts like you did (except it's linux I'm trying to learn). It's very easy to run across a post like this and take it out of context thinking it will solve the problem. Without a good understanding of the base platform you are working with - you implement what is suggested in the post and blow everything away.

All I can say is I'm sorry this happened to you and consider it a lesson learned. If you dont understand something from top to bottom - don't implement anything you come across on the internet.

Like Ted said I hope you have a back up. You will need to download the teamviewer app to your computer so the can take over.

If you added a used eb8 then what happened was your new eb8 had the same address as an existing module in your system. It freaks the apex out and wipes it back to factory. Always have a back up. It is slightly possible that they can recover your program for the most part but it will likely just be a text file you will have to copy and paste everything to each outlet.

If anyone adds a used module of any kind be aware this can happen and you should always have a backup or 3.

I wish I had taken more time when I first got the Apex to learn more about it. Maybe it would have saved me from this. Unfortunately I never saved all the programming anywhere, unless my neighbor did. I'm going to ask him.

I can't remember if the third eb8 I have was new or used, but off of the top of my head I want to say I bought it new while the other two were used. They were running for at least a year now. What's weird is that the new one I was using for the apex feeder through the "usb" port. It was just the outlets that weren't "on".

Definitely taking this as a lesson learned and Ted is right... If you are not 100% sure that what you're reading on the Internet will work for you, don't do it!

Search your computer for apex and see what comes up. I can't remember without going home but it may be apex config?
Can you go to the module config page on your classic dashboard and see what modules show up? All 3 eb8's or one or none?

Search your computer for apex and see what comes up. I can't remember without going home but it may be apex config?
Can you go to the module config page on your classic dashboard and see what modules show up? All 3 eb8's or one or none?

I'll have to check when I get home. I'm hoping roger can still help me out.

Hey Roger. Are you still open to coming by today? I'm trying to leave work now and I could really use the help. Bad timing of everything as Venessa is away for work this week. I'll owe you!

Alright.... BIG thanks to Robert, rdaly97, for all of the help tonight. The most difficult part was figuring out how to get everything back "on" again. Robert did this while I drank. One good thing, and not sure how this happened, but all of the ports were showing up in Apex Fusion. This made it a little easier.

Then we noticed that Fusion wasn't connected to the Apex unit. We also needed to do an update to the Apex but we had to first connect Fusion. This is where I got a little lost because I don't hardwire into my router. This is me half way making things up so someone is going to need to explain it better.... Instead we had to download the file, unplug wifi adapter that is connected to the Apex, and plug the computer directly into the Apex controller, and at some point that was it? : /

Somewhere in all of that Robert was able to connect and update the Apex. I'm still a little lost with that one.

After that it got easier. Just the normal programming. We had to figure out which bar and ports worked, and then we labeled and programmed them.

Following that we saved the programming of the Apex which was done through Apex Classic, NOT APEX FUSION. You do this by putting the Apex IP into the address bar. It takes you to a security page that asks you to login. My username was Admin and we got the password from the Apex Controller.

Can't fully remember what else we did in detail but I hope this helps someone else. Maybe Robert can chime in if anyone has questions.

Next is setting up the dosers! Lol...

Back