Scripps seawater in San Diego?

SDJustin

Scripps Institution of Oceanography Seawater Tap

I'm getting back into reefing... really enjoying it! There's been some significant advances in the last 17 years.

I'm in San Diego, and live 15 minutes away from the free natural filtered seawater tap at Scripps. It's the same water used at the Birch Aquarium. I've started out my quarantine tank with it, and all water params test out perfect. I can't find my written test reports (oops) but tested Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium, pH, Salinity, and Alkalinity. All came out perfect. 0 Ammonia/Nitrate. Between 0-2 nitrates (hard to tell slight shades of clear/almost pink water), very low phosphates, and healthy levels of calcium and magnesium. I remember Salinity/pH/Alkalinity being perfect as well.

Anyhow, my original plan was to do initial water and all water changes with actual ocean water. I figure the ocean can make better ocean water than some scientists mixing salt? or drying out natural seawater? or me dumping salt into RO/DI water testing salinity with a cheap refractometer?

However, a guy I trust at a very well established local fish store (seems pretty knowledgable, and not guided by $$$) doesn't recommend it. His point is that he doesn't know what's in it, that northeast pacific seawater (California) is much more nutrient rich than places like Fiji, and that he's had customers that had problems while using it that were resolved after switching to synthetic salts.

I can't find any recent threads on Scripps water. There are several from a few years ago, but nothing in the past 2-3 years that I can find with substantive info.

Right now I'm kicking off my main 160G tank with RO water and will start the tank with Tropic Marin Classic Salt, so that ship has sailed.

But going forward for water changes...

My main concern is that natural filtered seawater could bring in disease, which would make my quarantine procedures much less effective. The things I love about it are that it's free (no wasting RO/DI runoff water or buying salt), it's basically 'perfect' natural seawater based on my tests, that it get's me out to La Jolla/the beach every week or two, and that if it does have extra/random stuff in it that that stuff might actually be beneficial.

Thoughts? Recent experience with Scripps seawater?

:fish1: Hi, if it makes you feel any better, go for the NSW, I use unfiltered NSW all the time, I started my system using NSW, and all my water changes are done using NSW. After all it is where all the wildlife in your tank comes from, and besides it's being filtered, also you could send a sample of the Scippts water to one of the labs that will test your water for you. Your LFS employee may be very knowledgeable in his trade, so unless the water from Scripps comes from a polluted area, which I highly doubt, use it. I prefer using unfiltered NSW, with all the wonderful things it comes with, but I also collect my water from my boat, in the Gulfstream off the Florida Keys. :fish1:

I also live in San Diego and this seems to be a common question or concern for reefers down here. A lot swear by it and a lot steer clear of it. I'm one that uses it exclusively. I started my previous 110g with it which ran for a year and a half as an sps dominant tank (no problems). I have since upgraded to a 225g with Scripps water at March, and again is an SPS dominant tank. I have zero problems with the water. I dont fill up afte or during storms, but have never had any issues with the exception of the Alk being lower than I keep my reef at (which I bump up to mid 8 before water changes). Not sure why the lfs employee was telling you this, but there is nothing I have found wrong with it in over the 3 years I've used it. Just make sure you match the temp and levels you desire during water changes.
12b5e8b77a4927349a218580ea1d57a2.jpg
50f93c67accd75750721686a5d70d71d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks cboltsd and Green Chromis!

cboltsd, A) beautiful tank! B) do you bump Alk with Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash), Sodium Bicarbonate, Kalkwasser, or something else?

My main display (just starting it up now) will have a calcium reactor, a kalkreactor, and a dosing unit... and I have no idea how much alk dosing I'll have to do if any on the main tank because of the kalkwasser... or if I'll have to dose 2 part at all after the Calcium & Kalk reactors.

Thanks cboltsd and Green Chromis!

cboltsd, A) beautiful tank! B) do you bump Alk with Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash), Sodium Bicarbonate, Kalkwasser, or something else?

My main display (just starting it up now) will have a calcium reactor, a kalkreactor, and a dosing unit... and I have no idea how much alk dosing I'll have to do if any on the main tank because of the kalkwasser... or if I'll have to dose 2 part at all after the Calcium & Kalk reactors.
Thanks SDJustin.
I also run a Calx, so I bump levels up with 2 part bionic to the water I'll use for the water change. I'm only worried about the Alk and temp when I do that. I dont even test my calcium anymore. It runs on the lower end of 400, but I'm fine with that because it has had no ill effects as far as growth that I've seen. I've also been able to keep my PH from 8.1 to 8.4 which has helped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I used to live in Seattle. The Seattle aquarium have a dispenser where you can buy NSW from the Puget Sound for 5c/gal. This open 24/7. I have a charge card and use it to turn to pump on at any time, even in the wee hours of the morning
I have 10 5gal gasoline container (plastic) that I use to get water for my aquarium. It was great. I can change 100 gal from my tank at anytime. The water of the Puget Sound have higher Nickel than other NSW but I did not have any problem with it. They filter and chlorinated, then de-chlorinated it so it is parasite and infection free. Mo micro-organism or small fauna in it.

I love scripts water! Just wish it was not so far for me to get it. I no longer do water changes so It’s not a problem. I would defiantly use it again. Many more people use it than may realize as several water services and LFS get their water from there.

this is so cool, i didn't even know this was a thing. ah to live near the coast!

i remember a few years back i chatted with one of the aquarists at Mote Marine Lab. he said they used NSW pumped out of the gulf for everything there but their large reef tank. he said the only reason they didn't use it for that was because the phosphates were too high.

if that water tests out fine, i wouldn't have a second thought about using it.

Justin, triton did a test on it and was all good. Was a lil low in alk I believe but all else was good.

Pm me and I will direct you to another site. Btw I have been using it exclusively for 15yrs.

I have some very expensive fish and have had multiple reef tanks with large sos colonies

Another vote for Scripps. I've been using it exclusively for water changes for 4 years with no problems but just to be sure I sent in a Triton test from my tank, so different from fresh, and it came back just fine. I had heard about the Triton test d-man mentioned so I wanted to know how I was doing with Scripps and Mrs. Wages in my top off for Kalk. Very reassuring.

Use it with confidence, just don't go during or after a rain. That's when phosphates and nitrates spike from fertilizer runoff and surfers get sick from bacterial blooms. These dissipate quickly in the ocean so just give it a few days and its good again. I try to wait about a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's 7 votes for Scripps and 1 against (LFS). I know it's anecdotal but that builds confidence.

And the Triton results are based on data, which builds more confidence!

I tested some Scripps water (from before the current rain) and got the following results:
Temp = 66.4F (by the time I tested)
Salinity = 1.026 (only get 3 digits of accuracy from my refractometer)
dKh = 6.8 (Hanna)
Calcium = 423 (Hanna)
Phosphate = 0.02 (Hanna)
Magnesium = 1260-1290 (Salifert)
ph = 8.15 (Salifert)
Ammonia = 0 (Salifert)

So... all good there and I will bump Alk before water changes.

My one concern is still potential disease/parasite import and if that means my quarantine protocol will be less effective. I'll still quarantine new fish past the first month to make sure they are healthy from collection/transport before going in the display.

Thanks again for the feedback/help!

d-man, when trying to PM you I get an error message (I think because I just started up on reef central). "Sorry, you can only send messages to the RC Moderator group until you have 10 posts." -that message doesn't make a lot of sense but I bet once I hit 10 posts I'll be able to PM.

And thanks for the advice!

-Justin

Back