Sea Urchin Dead?

Is it a long spine urchine? How long have you had it?Its in a 12 gallon?Do you know the water readings?

is it losing spines or just breaking them off while moving about the rockwork? my black long spine urchin breaks off pieces of his spines all the time and is perfectly normal and active and healthy

never seen him actually drop an entire spine though...that doesnt sound good

what are your water parameters?

my pencil urchen looses spines all the time and he moves all over the place. Eats algae like crazy and seems to be healthy.

If they are falling off and fast then he is deing and shows that you have a water quality issue. They need proper salinty ,calcium ,PH,Nitrate , Phosphate , ammonia , Alk. Also if this is a new tank setup then there is no food for him.Tanks age?

ive only had it for like 1 week and my tank is bout 2 and half months old its a short spine its green and black, no i dont feed, but i do have a frogspawn, blasto, duncan, and a sea fan in there and they seem to be doin ok

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11674025#post11674025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by swivel
my water params are 0 nitrate, 8.5 kh, 7.4 ph havent tested the others yet
Take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it.

His main diet is algea and coraline.I cant see enough in such a new tank.Also blasto's and any LPS will want high steady calcium readings. I target feed my blasto's brine shrimp and cyclops. I think you should slow down and research your stocks needs.Also try a balance of CUC ,coral,fish and slow and educated decisions are best. This may help.

http://www.asira.org/caresheets

Back