Seahorse / Refugium Tank

BRISK495

Does anyone have any specs or pics of a refugium / seahorse tank that is connected to their main display?...I will be plumbing in a refugium and thought with the slow/ little flow, I would try some seahores in the tank as well...Thanks

Most people are not successful with seahorses in a refugium for a few reasons:

1. Seahorses are rarely successfully kept at temperatures above 74 degrees because they are more prone to bacterial infections at those higher temps. Tropicals really need temps between 70-74, and subtropicals and temperates even lower.

2. Seahorses put quite a high bioload on a tank because of their simple digestive system and need to be fed several times a day, so they counter-act the denitrifying benefits of a refugium. Most people don't want the added waste and nitrates in their pristine reefs.

3. Seahorses will quickly clean out the refugium of copepods, amphipods, shrimp, etc. that many keepers want for their planktavores in their tanks . Effectively removing the only other benefit for a "refugium": the live goodies for their reef fish and corals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11651014#post11651014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ann83
Most people are not successful with seahorses in a refugium for a few reasons:

1. Seahorses are rarely successfully kept at temperatures above 74 degrees because they are more prone to bacterial infections at those higher temps. Tropicals really need temps between 70-74, and subtropicals and temperates even lower.

2. Seahorses put quite a high bioload on a tank because of their simple digestive system and need to be fed several times a day, so they counter-act the denitrifying benefits of a refugium. Most people don't want the added waste and nitrates in their pristine reefs.

3. Seahorses will quickly clean out the refugium of copepods, amphipods, shrimp, etc. that many keepers want for their planktavores in their tanks . Effectively removing the only other benefit for a "refugium": the live goodies for their reef fish and corals.

great, thanks for the info. I am going to rethink my plans for a refugium/seahorse tank. I do remember that seahorses liked cooler water. I thought it would be neat to have some passive species in a low flow tank like a frefugium...I will contnue to look for ideas...thanks again...

Back