Seeking advice for first time build. 150 gallon tank

I would like to get LED's since they don't create much heat, they are lower on electricity and I don't have to change the bulbs. Any recommendations on what brand or type of LED's for this size tank?

I want to do fish, soft corals and probably hard coral. My cousin is going to send me a bunch of Austrian, Fiji and some other coral for free when I get my tank running.

What size sump would be good? I have seen many for cheap but I'm not sure what size to get.

I used the Chinese Reef Breeders LEDs, got 2 24" lights above the tank, although if I were to do it again I think I would have gotten the 32" ones. Fully programmable, they do the job for everything from mushrooms to SPS.

As far as the sump goes, and depending on how handy you are, I used a plain 55 long (bought at Petco during the $1/gallon sale) and installed my own baffles. Cost me maybe $75 when all was said and done plus left room for my top-off and other storage on the side.

Rob's deal is a steal. For the 150 you would spend $500 for a Reefbreeder (Don't get me wrong, I run them, but.....). Those lights are more than twice that new and have Carclo optics plus I believe Cree or high bin rated LEDs.

mike

Back