Seio vs Tunza

gomab14

I have a 100 gallon FOWLR setup that will oneday turn into a full blown reef tank. I want to upgrade my powerheads, but I am knda turn between the tunza stream and the Seio. Whats the good and bad with these powerheads.

Price and quality. Tunze's are not cheap!!! But the quality is the best and the flow is fantastic, check out there website for details regarding flow patterns with controller. I did as an investment for the next tank i move up to as they will hold up to time and size increase. Just my 2 cents.

I've been running Seios for about 1 year now in my 90. For the amount of money I saved on buying them, I can replace them as often I think I need to, and I haven't had a reason to even think about it.

I have Seiho powerheads too in all of my thanks. I really love it and for the price, they work very well! But if you want the best and if money is not a problem for you, go with the Tunze...

Another consideration is timers/wavemakers -- Seio just came out with a timer for theirs - Tunze has them too, but if you buy either make sure you get the ones that will work on the companies' respective timers

I own both Seio and Tunze streams and I prefer the Tunze over the Seios. If you want to go cheaper then get the Seios. Tunze may be priced high but you're getting a good pump and you can always post in the Tunze forum if you have a problem and Roger would help you out.

I love my Tunze's. They require very little maintenance to keep running trouble free. I also like the fact that they are upgradeable and controllable (some models).

Personally, I would try to wait for the new nanostreams to be released. They are going to be very powerfull and affordable at the same time.

I'm in the process of switching from Seio to Tunze. The 1500's have been nothing but trouble from the start......they don't start. Every time there is a power glitch, I can count on the 1500's to not start. I have 2 620's that have run flawlessly, so they'll stay. I really didn't have the $$$ for Tunze, but since forking over almost $400 for a 6100 and the magnet mount, I'm saving for another. Next weekend, I will be blowing up one of the 1500's with a block of C4. I will take pics and hope to have a video.

I had 2 Seio' s in my 90 for about 2 months. Hated them. VERY LOUD and had re-start problems (well only one had restart problems.) THey were also great tank heaters!! Got the TUNZE and my tank dropped about 2 degrees and was quieter. But you are almost comparing apples to oranges. AC powered SEIO's to DC Powered Tunze Streams.... The price of the SEIO is about $150 for 2 of them (on the high side) and the Tunze are $900 with the multicontoller.

Tunze are the best, but SEIO's will work if you have spare time to babysit them and fiddle with them.. The flow is not that great in SIEO's compared to TUNZE either. The SEIO 1100's i had were 1100GPH and each Tunze puts out about 3000+ GPH and they are controllable....

it all comes down to price in the end. the tunzes are probably the best available. if you can afford them go for it. If not I have seios and my 220 and have never had a single problem with them

I have been in the hobby for a decade I've tried all the pumps and powerheads out there, after ten years of trying to make closed loops work right or powerheads aim in the right direction I finally gave up, I dropped a grand on a 2 tunze 6100's with a multi controller, It is basically plug-n-play. totally upgradable or downgradeable 1,300 gpd to 3,100 gpd, you can put these things in a 75 gal tank or crank it up in a 300 gallon tank also comes with a moon light and a photo cell, I love these things! well worth the money AND the marriage-IMO. (o.k. maybe not).

I just bought me my first sieo pump and was all excited worked awesome for 2 days till I had my power go out one morning thought nothing of it then that night at feeding I noticed no current coming from my seio and was concerned pulled it out tried to get it to restart nothing took it apart and the magnet inside that holds the impeller broke in 1/2 after 2 days :( had to drop 25 bucks on a new impeller assembly

My tanks never looked better since the tunze's

My tanks never looked better since the tunze's

81436new_sump_area_4.jpg
81436new_electrical_pic_2.jpg
81436right_side.jpg
81436full_tank_shot_left.jpg
81436right_side_length.jpg

Back