Setting up a Reef in Vietnam

There are a bunch of nice tanks in VN

Next time you come I'll give you some of the addresses I know.

Too bad you can't carry anything out nowadays, would love to sent my little bro some

Sounds good. I noticed how they sell colonies in Asia for the price of a frag in the US.

Is salt available or does everyone use natural sea water?

Salt is available but not all brands, currently I am using Seachem, NSW is also available and cheap, I don't use it because I have a RO/Di which I presume most VN don't use.

Yeah if I see frag prices in the US or EU I almost fall over. I bought a 10" wide elegance coral for 5-10 bucks the other day. So yeah you could say price for a big colony would be the price of a frag. SPS is a bit more expensive but not overly so, prices I have seen on websites in vn are much higher then in real life. Selection is also different as what is available one week could be not available for months after.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383990383.350312.jpg

Fish is a harder story as the health of most cheap fish is on average not so good, but then you are not spending 100's of usd for a single fish, there is one shop which sells good quality imported fish but it's far out for me. I'll go get something more nice in the future there when my tank is more stable. Sometimes you get lucky but my experience has been not so good, especially with young fish, also feeding wise a lot of shops feed small live shrimp, so to get them to eat something else is also difficult after. I do not always have shrimp as I do not visit the fish market every day he he

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383990668.016151.jpg

Seaapple's is something I guess not easy to get in the western world also :) also a whopping 5 bucks

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383990729.397697.jpg

My family originally from Hanoi Vietnam. I never knew there was even a saltwater market. I rly should look into it the next time I go back to Vietnam

Wow NeilFox This is a great looking tank. I alos got out of tanks for awhile after my wife passed away now I am thinking of getting back into it. I am currently in the US but have been dateing a Thai lady for about 3 years, and some day I will proably move to Thailand. The only thing is I have taken her to some fish shops here and, she says jail for fish . I am happy to see these tanks I hope I can do the same in Thailand some day as for now I am light shopping. If you don't mind can I add you as a friend Thanks

Mark

Beautiful fish! Is that a wrasse? What kind is it?

You could probably arrange deliveries via "xe may" for live feeder shrimps. They can surely deliver anything there on a motorcycle. I saw 5 people on one scooter.

I will get a car the next time I am back and check out the stores. Too bad I won't be be able to buy anything and take back but would be nice to see.

Rudiment you have some very nice stuff too. Next time I fly that way I think I will tour VN to have always wanted to see

Back