Setting up a saltwater tank

Thanks.

Also how does the reverse omosis work? Do you run water through it when you need it or is it constantly on?

The RO/DI unit will have a shut off valve when you install it. While it is running you will have a collection bin for the good water produced and you will also need a way to collect or remove the waste water produced which averages between 3-4 gallons for every 1 gallon of good water. People use the waste water to do laundry or water their gardens/yard or use in other means.

as for fish, look at fosters and smith they have a good list of fish and what size tank each fish needs. also a section for just nano fish.
There's been some good advice on this thread but whatever you do, do not use point of purchase advice as "research" for aquarium animals. Almost all LFS's and online retailers sell animals that should be left in the ocean. If that's not a hint as to whether they should be relied on for info, I don't know what is. They also give misleading tank size recommendations. I have and would definitely buy livestock from the one named, but I would not go to them for research.

Last edited:
I am a couple months into this and already made a few bad purchases.

Number 1 advice: patience.

Research research research and then ask the forum.

You don't want to buy a skimmer and then find out it has design flaws.

Also buy for more than you need. IE higher GPH pump and choke it back as you will find you can split it to go to a skimmer, phos reactor, calcium reactor if your tank demands one.

Make sure the inside of your stand is expandable to house more equipment.

+1 on the above. Reseach. Hit the sticky posts and search. More than likely someone has run into the same issue you may be facing. If not, post it and have patience. I jumped into this and found the info contained here to be really helpful.

Has anyone mentioned that larger tanks tend to be more stable and easier to manage? That is once you've set up simple a water change plan. Of course as the tank gets bigger, expense increases.

Back