Setup Plans & Dreams

CassandrAlys

Hi!

So, once upon a time I had a mixed reef tank, with way too many mistakes and unplanned disasters. This time, before I buy a damn thing, I'm doing all the research my heart can take.

Now, it'll be a while before I can purchase anything- the plan is to build the house, and the reef I'm planning is PART of that plan. It won't be inset into a wall (I'm too afraid of the humidity damage inside the walls *shivers*, but we're rearranging windows and changing the scope of the room to be able to showcase it the way I'd like.

We're planning on building a custom stand that will house the lights above and all the equipment below. It'll be close to a window that I plan to use to drain the water from the water changes, rather than hauling it back to the kitchen (not that that's too far off, but simplicity is best). And for those of you concerned about sunlight, the windows we're getting have blinds inset- the type you see in Germany?- to ward off extra algae growth. Also planning on putting the tank on a separate breaker and plumbing water to the outside of the house just behind the tank (at the very least a spigot, but possible even an outdoor sink).

I know I want a mixed reef tank, and it will be a minimum of 125 gallons, possibly up to 180. It's unlikely it'll be larger than that at this point, but I'd like to plan for the 180 just in case. (It's always better to highball those numbers than see them creep up!) I also want to automate as much as humanly possible, so that when I do take my vacations I don't have to have someone at the house on the daily.

At the moment, I'm looking for advice on your best automated systems & what they're used for, what equipment you feel is necessary for a healthy, mixed reef tank (to include lights and anything else you can think of), what test kits you feel are necessary, and any other advice you have. It's been so long since I've had a tank, and my life has changed more than I could have imagined. I want to do it right this time, from the very start.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well the first thing I would like to say is good luck with your house and tank build. I will suggest that you pickup a Apex Neptune or similar system to monitor the tank and sump. I have one and its great. You can use it to create a automatic water changing system, monitor parameters, monitor for leaks, notify you via text if any parameters are abnormal and most importantly shut down each outlet remotely if need be. This provides a lot of flexibility and room for expansion.

The second thing that I suggest is a auto water changing system. Both of the things that i have suggested will allow you to leave your tank for a period of time and not worry as much!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do NOT try draining out a window please.
It can kill plants & if you get snow or a freeze & need a water change are you going to open a window? Will you have a basement? If so plan on everything under the tank there.
Makes life so much simpler. Salifert test kits are well respected.
Neptune Apex or German GHL are the 2 automation systems to look at.
Decide on lighting by taking a look @ BRS TV Videos, plenty of useful information there.

No basements here, much as I wish it were possible. We live in something akin to a swamp, so it just isn't an option. And while I'm totally down to open the window for water changes (yes, even when it's cold), we can put an outdoor sink right by said window so it isn't going straight into the ground. It's something we've talked about anyways.

Whoops, missed the second part of the message there. I'll take a look at the other automation system shortly, but I've spent hundreds of hours watching the BRS videos. The messages everywhere seem to be "œTHIS" is my right way. But also there are other right ways. *shrugs* It's tricksy to decide which direction to go because there seem to be a lot of wrong answers with some right ones mixed in.

Always another way but the "better" way is the one with the best results. My old Neptune AquaController II has had 1 glitch since purchased many moons ago. The new models seem to have more. GHL, on the other hand is tougher on the learning curve with less problems on stability. You pick the 1 you like & trust with your system. I like DC water pumps. Because my pump runs in the sump heat becomes a problem. The 1st pump I had did great, for a year. Short story It & the backup died & too many AC pumps did not work so I had to bite the bullet with one of the most expensive DC pumps, but it works. If you want reliability & dependability sometimes you have to pay for it. Do it right from the start. I have had too many skimmers & lights already.

Good luck with the build! It's great to be able to plan a system before the house is built "” that's what I did 16 years ago. There are things which are much simpler (and cheaper) to do as part of construction, rather than later. My 230 gal peninsula tank separates our primary eating area from our family room. It's weight was included in the loads used when engineering our structure, the custom stand matches our kitchen cabinets, sufficient electrical outlets were located appropriately, etc. There was one additional thing we did that I would highly recommend: the plumber placed a washing machine connection box in the wall where it would be hidden inside the stand. It included cold water supply (which the RO/DI remained connected too), hot water supply (which I never used), and a drain (which was used for the RO/DI waste line and water changes). IMHO, that's far better than having to rely upon a window and an outdoor sink.

You guys rock!

You guys rock!

[MENTION=342625]MarkW64[/MENTION]
Oh my goodness that's an amazing idea- I will definitely discuss that with my husband, and I'm sure he will agree!

We have an open concept design going so I don't think it's going to be used as a barrier between housing sections (though I DID propose the idea of a second one in our bedroom/office to separate the areas... Hey, a girl can dream!)

And we've definitely talked about extra supports and outlets, but I'll be looking back at this post while going over construction so it's a great reminder- thanks!
[MENTION=18215]Vinny Kreyling[/MENTION]
Yup! I have every expectation that our setup is going to be monstrously expensive at the start. Our goal is to start buying replacements for all the jet equipment about a year into it (maybe sooner for the heaters?) as a "˜just in case' for when things inevitably go sideways. Basically just a once a month purchase of some major piece until we have an entire replacement set. It's going to hurt the wallet for a while, but I don't even want to think about unnecessarily killing our future friends in there. So, we'll live! And I tend to over budget for this anyways- never hurts to have extra!

Thanks for the advice on the specific equipment! I love hearing individual experiences :) I'll definitely be researching all the reviews of every piece recommended.

You guys (& gals?) rock. Thank you so much!

I'd highly recommend GHL contoller as their products are backwards compatible and really bulletproof. Yes the learning curve is more challenging but it's worth it

Back